mesh cam basic settings

kurt

mesh cam basic settings

Post by kurt » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:42 pm

greetings. I am a newbie to this. I am trying to mill a simple wooden block like model of a building. maybe 1x2x3 inches in size out of wood. I have a typical 1/8" end mill and I am trying to get Meshcam to create a tool path. What would be typical values for the tool path parameters like depth per pass, step over, feed rates, plunge rate, etc for rough and finish passes ? A screen shot of what you use in Meshcam would be great. I can't get Meshcam to generate a tool path and I think its because I am using wrong or too fine of settings. Any help would be appreciated .

Thanks,

Kurt

AnonymousPerson

Re: mesh cam basic settings

Post by AnonymousPerson » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:48 pm

Have the MeshCAM intro video's on YouTube been helpful?

eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-82qFQGETo
Shapeoko 3 #516

kurt

Post by kurt » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:57 pm

I have watch them several times and have used the setting in the video but still can't get it to run. Would be nice to know what they all do and why he is using the settings he does. I am not sure if the settings in the videos are for nomad or shapeoko, wood or other materials? Also Meshcam seems really quirky with setting in the define stock section. It bounces back to mm when I have it set for inches, increases size to crazy large sizes when I try to add say .25" to all x,y, & z size. Doesn't seem stable ? I'm on a Mac OS 10.10.5 . Not sure if Mac version of Meshcam is beta ? It sure acts like it is unless it has conflict with other apps on my computer ?

Thanks,

Kurt

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:03 pm

Isn’t there a manual?

A step-by-step tutorial?

The ShapeOko 3 and Nomad should have similar feeds and speeds, so work on functionality, then tune later.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

kurt

Post by kurt » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:27 am

ok thanks for the tips but does Meshcam seem quirky to you ? or act like I describe to you ? I have been waiting for a response from Meshcam "tech support " and have had nothing for 2 days now. Is this normal ? I bet 5 or 10 mins talking to some one would probably solve 90% of my issues.

Thanks, Kurt

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:25 am

As a note, I tried out MeshCAM as well when I first started a few months ago. Never received any response from emailing them (several times), so went looking for other options. Not many people here seem to use it, though there are a few.

Tried out Autodesk Fusion 360 next (free for hobbyists), which I'm still using. But I kind of hate it, as it's so friggin buggy. (crashes several times per day, and just plain bugs out often). Autodesk seem to care more about adding nifty new features, than making sure basic functionality works properly. It's ridiculous. :(

Trying out other options now too, but haven't really found one I like. *sigh*

In short... you might want to look around for other solutions. You're not limited to MeshCAM. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516

kurt

Post by kurt » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:56 pm

hmmm well I got Meshcam to work and am starting to be ok with it. It is a little quirky but definitely does the job. I guess they figure that once you start using it, you will figure out what works and what doesn't. My first attempts I think I had the settings too fine such that Meshcam got over loaded with trying to calculate the tool path and would freeze or crash. my bad . I also have found that when defining the stock, locking the stock dimensions keeps it from making the stock crazy big dimensions. It's kinda like trial and error with all the settings, but once you "jump in the pool" you figure out how to swim.