Carbide Create Auto Feeds And Speeds

JoshL

Carbide Create Auto Feeds And Speeds

Post by JoshL » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:42 pm

Ive been messing around with carbide create and like the feature of setting feeds and speeds automatically which comes from material selected in startup settings. Soft wood for example tells me to run at 15000rpm, 60ipm feed, 30ipm plunge. I have a router with variable speed control not a spindle so I need to cut back on the speed according to these auto settings. I purchased a photo tach to help figure out what knob position correlates to 15000rpm and also account for losses when cutting.

My concern is when I first got the machine I ran the same feeds and plunge at full Rpm (26000) and crashed the machine (loud chatterring, horrible cuts, deviate from tool path, endmill stopped spinning). Since then Ive figured out what feeds and plunge to use at full rpm but all my jobs take super long (prior to using CC) - 40 ipm max feed and 10 ipm max plunge

So im a little uneasy at trying these again at 15000rpm. Just seems counterintuitive to me that running the spindle slower at same feeds and plunge will not cause crash, but Im new to this stuff.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Carbide Create Auto Feeds And Speeds

Post by WillAdams » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:27 am

What we have on feeds and speeds is on the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Materials

It’s unfortunate that carbide Create is oriented more towards the Nomad, and doesn’t have a mode to take into account the suggested Dewalt (or Porter Cable) being used w/ it, let alone the Makita which I prefer.

If you’re not closed-source averse, probably the best thing to do is to just get G-Wizard and MeshCAM (which has a nifty integration w/ it, which allows copy-pasting of settings)
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

JoshL

Re: Carbide Create Auto Feeds And Speeds

Post by JoshL » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:49 pm

Thanks for reply. Although Im not against closed source stuff, the price point is to high for me at this time. Going to figure it out the old fashion way with multiple iterations. The link pointed to some calculators going to try those and take it from there.