New Canadian to CNC. HELP!

bdemelis

New Canadian to CNC. HELP!

Post by bdemelis » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:35 pm

hello All
I am new to CNC and purchased a SO3 recently understanding there would be some time needed to learn. I am looking for someone who is local to me who can assist me with compensation of course. I just want the basics of the operations where I can then take over from. I am just north of the GTA area in Toronto, Ontario and am willing to come to your shop at your convenience. If there is anyone out there who is willing to help someone who chewed too much.....that would be appreciated. you can email me at bdemelis@rogers.com

Regards...

Shook

Re: New Canadian to CNC. HELP!

Post by Shook » Fri Mar 25, 2016 6:54 pm

I'm pretty far from Canada, but do you have specific questions that we can answer? There's a ton of helpful folks here.

Have you done the "Hello Shaepoko" test yet?
Shapeoko 3 (#1107)

bdemelis

Post by bdemelis » Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:08 pm

thanks for the reply, yes I have done that with success. When I follow the videos put out by Carbide which shows step by step instructions on creating something and follow them to a T, I sometimes get good results and other times not good. I seem to have an issue creating gcode that will run in Carbide Motion that is consistent and I don't know why or what I'm doing wrong. I am not great on computers and will admit that but if I can get someone to go over the process from the design stage to cutting the part out, I think that will help me a long way. I am a visual learner and don't do very well with instructions. if I cant find anyone in this area, it might be best to sell it all. Sorry but I don't have specific questions but it seems each time I spend a couple of hours in the shop on the CNC, it does not go well and then frustration sets in and I give up.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:54 pm

Any instance of a file which is created in Carbide Create, but which doesn’t cut properly in Carbide Motion should be documented and filed as a bug report.

If you wish, you could post the files here, and describe each step and what you expect to happen, and what actually happened.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

bdemelis

Post by bdemelis » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:54 pm

I changed settings on carbide motion and it worked. it appears my gcode files now seem to work so I will take the next week or so and try them all. the big frustration for me is lack of instructions. if there was a manual with this CNC and software, it may have helped me sooner. I am feeling great right now seeing that the CNC cut out my part. Thank you to all for your offers of help, if there are any suggestions you can offer for someone like me ( a novice) please don't hold back. Thanks again to All.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:36 pm

The manual is the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

What information do you want which isn’t there?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

bdemelis

Post by bdemelis » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:56 pm

hello....... I am playing with basic letters as I learn CNC operation and don't know what I am doing wrong with my files, I have them designed at 6"+ W x 10"+ H give or take but when I cut them out I get instead 6" W x 5" H. I tried attaching the Carbide files but was not allowed. attached instead is a photo of what I get in size.

on another note: anyone know how to convert the other attached file into Gcode? ultimately I would like to cut out the logo on the SO3 and don't know the steps in doing so. I have the logo in .tif .ai .eps .jpg .pdf formats. Help is always appreciated, thanks in advance for the help.
Attachments
Kenstruct Ltd (logo only) FNL.tif
ultimate to do
Kenstruct Ltd (logo only) FNL.tif (199.73 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
Kphoto.jpg
what I get
Kphoto.jpg (456.48 KiB) Viewed 1589 times

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:01 pm

Ahhh, that sounds like one of your GRBL settings might not be correct. Try this out, which should (in theory) help:

http://docs.carbide3d.com/article/45-ma ... -half-size

:)
Shapeoko 3 #516

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:57 pm

Start w/ a vector version (.ai, .eps, or .pdf).

Open in Inkscape
Export as .svg
Open the .svg in Carbide Create or a MakerCAM
Set CAM settings and export to G-code.

Alternately export it as a .dxf and process that using F-engrave.

bdemelis

Post by bdemelis » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:29 pm

AnonymousPerson
thank you, it was my settings for sure. all is great!