heekscnc on ubuntu

aguseguedre

Re: heekscnc on ubuntu

Post by aguseguedre » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Hello all,

I am new in ubuntu 12 I just upgrade from 10.04 .I want to play a little with heekscnc . I have follow the alpha recomendations and I have now Heekscad.
I have too the folders; heekscnc, Heeks-libarea-25aabd7, oce ,opencamlib in my personal folder. But I do not know what I must do to install heekscnc.

Regards

alpha

Post by alpha » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:53 am

Heekscnc is just a plugin for heekscad; if you can start heekscad you just need to point to the heekscnc.so file in the bin folder of the heekscnc directory. If you don't have the so file yet just do 'cmake .' and 'make' to compile it. Linux Mint 13 and Ubuntu 12.04 should be very close because Mint 13 is using Ubuntu 12.04 underneath but did change the desktop back to the old way.

Btw instead of using make install I recomend to use checkinstall; this will create a Debian package and install this package instead of just comping the files to the system directories. This allows to uninstall all the files without messing up the existing system. But this is only needed for libarea because heekscad and heekscnc have 'make package' commands.

All the other libraries you listed can be found in package manager and I didn't compile those my self.

aguseguedre

Post by aguseguedre » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:13 am

Hi Alpha,
Thanks for your answer.
I have not the heekscnc.so file yet them I did cmake. But there are some problems. Here I enclose a screeshot of terminal.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Regards

fito

Post by fito » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:38 pm

That's one of the first screens I got when I tried to cmake heekscad. I managed to get around it by editting the script to point to the correct file.

However, I've not spent alot of time on this recently and while I can cmake heekscad there is nor heekscad executable anywhere on my system and when I try to make package or make heekscad I get a bunch of errors about constants not being defined and file called 'strstream.h' not being found. Since that file is not on my system I seems to have hit an impasse.

Tried the packages from alpha and all I get are missing .so file messages.
Adolfo Cortés
ShapeOko 649

alpha

Post by alpha » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:27 am

Heekscnc is looking for some include files from heekscad. You need to have the heekscnc directory inside the heekscad directory...

You can use 'apt-file find' to search which package has the missing so file! You should be able to find the right package and use 'apt-get install'.

fito

Post by fito » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:03 am

Reporting success

I decided to look in github to see wich of the of branches/repositories has been worked on and found that ebh submitted a commit to sliptonic repository. So I 'git clone --recursive git://github.com/sliptonic/heekscad.git'

When that finished I 'cd heekscad' and 'sh ./INSTALL_UBUNTU.sh' Waited a fair while and now heekscad is up and running on my system. It's past midnight here so I'll play with it tomorrow. Hopefully heekscnc is all good to go.
Adolfo Cortés
ShapeOko 649

aguseguedre

Post by aguseguedre » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:50 pm

Hello ;

fito, I am happy for your succes. :D

alpha I tried to put the full directory heekcnc inside the heekscad directory but when I did cmake appear this error message.

I tried too copy only the files inside the heekscad directory but there are some files in heekscns with the same name that heekscad.

I had not installed 'apt-file find' I did , I update too some times. I use it but nothing happens perhaps the file is not in the pc.

Regards.

fito

Post by fito » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:09 am

Like alpha said- heekscnc is a plug-in for heekscad. You have to make heekscad to get to heekscnc. Clone sliptonics git of heekscad and run the INSTALL_UBUNTU.sh shell script and it will build heekscad and heekscnc. Start heekscad and it will habe heekscnc rolled into.

Use either the dash to find heekscad or type 'heekscad &' in a terminal window.
Adolfo Cortés
ShapeOko 649

aguseguedre

Post by aguseguedre » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:42 pm

HI fito,

Thaks for your answer. I know heekscnc is a pluging for heekscad I had heekcnc in ubutu 12 04 a few days. The problem is that heekscnc is not installed . Here I enclose the Synaptic Package Manager screenshoot . In Ubuntu 0 12 you could see heekscad and heekscnc installed.

In other way my PC knowledge is very limited; Copy and Past :roll:

Please What is sliptonics git?
How can I run the INSTALL_UBUNTU.sh shell?
What is the dash?

Regards.

fito

Post by fito » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:31 am

Hello aguseguedre,
Sorry for the delay in replying.

From he first screen shot you showed the script wants to run with /home/m/heekscnc/CMakeLists.txt not with /home/m/heekscad/heekscnc/CMakeLists.txt.

If moving the files back to /home/m/heekscnc and running the script doesn't work then try cloning the git to your system

Code: Select all

git clone --recursive git://github.com/sliptonic/heekscad.git
Then

Code: Select all

cd heekscad
sh ./INSTALL_UBUNTU.sh
That should build heekscad and heekscnc and you should be ready to go.
Adolfo Cortés
ShapeOko 649