Bill of Materials as a separate page?

Have a suggestion for the website or forum? Post it here.
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Bill of Materials as a separate page?

Post by WillAdams » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:12 am

There're a couple of places where parts are listed:

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... _Materials

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Purchasing

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Parts

I think Purchasing and the B.OM. should be swapped, w/ the former simplified down into ``Parts overview'' or some such and the data simplified out of it placed into the B.OM. Similarly, the Parts page should be rem8ved and bifurcated among those twain as well --- or am I the only person who finds this confusing?

If there's no objection, I'd be willing to be an admin and do this.

Additionally, he site http://kitbom.com/kitbom/shapeoko might be a workable alternative or supplement.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

WillAdams

Re: Bill of Materials as a separate page?

Post by WillAdams » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Okay, I finally broke down and whacked at this.

Swapped the Purchasing Parts Overview and Bill of Materials and added some explanatory text and useful links and shuffled some minor text around --- I think it fits together and reads more easily now. Next step will be to remove the purchasing column in the Parts Overview after making certain that all links from it are transferred into the Bill of Materials page.

Lef the Parts page substantially alone --- I think it's useful to have it for the more detailed information which isn't appropriate to a B.O.M.

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:21 pm

Finally noticed that the B.O.M. doesn't include electronics beyond stepper motors....

Guess some more editing / writing is called for.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:32 pm

Okay, I whacked at this again. I've moved all purchase links to the ``Purchasing'' page, there's only a brief overview at ``Assembly Overview'' (we really need a nice image of an entire electronics suite arrayed nicely like we have for the mechanicals), and tried to put all the discussion information into the ``Parts'' page (modulo the CAD data, see below).

It seems we left the Belt out of the B.O.M. --- fixed

Next we need to:

- set up nice hyperlinks from Parts to Purchasing and vice-versa

Anything else?

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:07 pm

One more thing....

We seem to have inconsistent part numbers?

The Parts page (and to a lesser degree the Assembly Overview page) use short <ALPHA><NUMBER> part numbers like ``H1'', while the Bill of Materials in the Purchasing page uses longer ones ``MSK01-02'' --- is the shorter form really useful / helpful or should we standardize on the longer, more accurate, more precise form?

William

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:30 pm

MSK01-02 comes from the fact that the original kit included a MakerSlide Kit, where the V-wheels, idlers and so on came from. All other parts got simple designators, such as hardware 1, etc.

I'm not sure which method is better. Definitely MSK01-02 isn't more descriptive today -- it's just a historical accident by now.

Bart Dring uses part numbers such as B17021 (V-wheel), B17023 (smooth idler), B18001 (eccentric spacer), C16013 (Arduino-compatible stepper shield PCB). I think the first letter designates a broad category, the next two digits a family of similar or related parts, and the last three digits just number the parts serially within a group, with no particular meaning.

Personally, I prefer part numbers that are descriptive of the part itself, and that I can remember easily: LMP (all L parts are laser-cut, MP is the motor plate), LZP (Z mount plate), LEP (end plate); MW1 (all M parts are machined, W1 is the V-wheel), MW2 (smooth idler), MLN (lead nut), MES (eccentric spacer); and then off the shelf parts are descriptive too, with shorter names for the more frequently used types, and suffixes to describe subtypes: N5 (M5 hex full nut), N8T (M8 hex thin nut), N5TI (M5 T-slot insertion nut), W5 (M5 washer, form A), W5B (M5 washer, form B) S3-50 (M3 x 50mm hex socket cap screw), S8-150R (M8 threaded rod 150mm long -- still a screw of sorts), S5-30F (M5 x 30mm hex socket flanged screw). When I have similar parts, I just add suffixes, usually with no meaning in themselves except to denote variations in the parts: D5-12 (D=spacer, 5mm I.D., 12/16 = 0.75" long, nylon), D5-12a (same as above, but larger O.D.), D5-12z (same as D5-12, but aluminum -- coming soon).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:29 pm

It would be good if we could unify part numbers across the pond....

U.S. list of Part Num.s here:

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Purchasing

and I see yours here:

http://wiki.amberspyglass.co.uk/index.p ... Parts_List

Could you and Edward get together and bash out a unified standard?

(BTW, you seem to've copied the erroneous MKS01-01 into your table, also, you've got a missing image link http://wiki.amberspyglass.co.uk/index.p ... Parts_List (bottom right corner next to the Powered by MediaWiki link))

William

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:06 pm

WillAdams wrote:Could you and Edward get together and bash out a unified standard?
Maybe, but there's little benefit in doing that. It would be a pain for me to change the part numbers (and I like how they are now), and I'm sure the same is true about Edward.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk