New Sidebar category - ``Using Your Machine''

Have a suggestion for the website or forum? Post it here.
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

New Sidebar category - ``Using Your Machine''

Post by WillAdams » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:48 am

I think this should go between Additional Build Information and Gallery.

We could move

- Run Your First Job
- End Mills
- Materials

into it, since they're pretty basic and everyone will need to consider them, so they can't be considered ``Advanced Topics''.

If Electronics and Fine Tuning were moved to ``Additional Build Information'' we could then change ``Advanced Topics'' to ``Software'' and have separate pages for:

- Overview (this would be the current page http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Software ?)
- CAD
- CAM
- Programming
- Previewing
- Communicating w/ the machine
- G-Code Interpreters

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Re: New Sidebar category - ``Using Your Machine''

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:21 pm

Sounds good to me.

I've never contributed (directly) to the wiki because I've always been too busy (and I sometimes feel bad about this), but I am very grateful that you are taking this so seriously. When I joined, the forum was fairly easy to digest in its entirety in a few sittings, but it has grown beyond that since. The information content got more diluted, too (mostly through a lot of duplication, where the same question got asked and answered a number of times). A curator is what we need, to unearth the useful nuggets from the forum and turn them into solid documentation gold. So, again, thank you!
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: New Sidebar category - ``Using Your Machine''

Post by WillAdams » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Thanks! I'm flattered (and also drafted, since Edward asked if I'd want to be an admin).

So, I did all of the above and a bit more.

If anyone has any improvements / suggestions / criticisms --- post here in the forum, on the talk pages, or feel free to edit and improve.

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)