Where should conversion tools go?

Have a suggestion for the website or forum? Post it here.
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Where should conversion tools go?

Post by WillAdams » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:17 pm

There are a number of these, and they've become a bit scattered.

I'm wondering if we shouldn't have a separate page in the Software section for them (hopefully this would be the last one).

The problem is, depending on the source and intended destination such utilities fit in well under CAM as well as Programming.

Another issue is that a number of them are source-only --- my propeller doesn't spin that fast, and I'm somewhat limited on my personal machine (an 800 MHz Pentium III w/ a 4GB SSD) so haven't looked into compiling them. Where would be a good place to host binaries of these? Anyone willing / able to compile them?

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Tom Smith

Re: Where should conversion tools go?

Post by Tom Smith » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:34 pm

Hey Will,

Given that many of these are under (somewhat) active development, hosting compiled binaries is going to get out of date in a hurry. Would it not be sufficient to link to the appropriate tool. I would hazard a guess that they all have compiled binaries hosted with the code...

Otherwise, maintenance of the binaries gets to be a pain as someone has to update them to current versions all the time.

My 2 cents

Tom

PS thanks for the apparently constant work on the wiki, seems you have really adopted it as your own!

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Where should conversion tools go?

Post by WillAdams » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:55 pm

A lot of them seem stagnant / compleat.

ps2gc has files over 10 years old in its archive
gcode2eps is over 7
grecode is almost 3 years from its last up-date

Glad to be able to help out on the wiki --- I've always found that writing about something is the best way to learn it.

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)