Software licensing concerns

Have a suggestion for the website or forum? Post it here.
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Software licensing concerns

Post by WillAdams » Fri May 24, 2013 12:30 pm

Okay, Adobe really hit things off w/ their new Creative Cloud licensing, but now Trimble is kicking the can farther down the road w/ SketchUp Make 2013:

http://sketchup.com/license/b/sketchup-make
Trimble Navigation Limited and/or its affiliates (“Trimble”) gives you a personal, worldwide, royalty-free, non-assignable and non-exclusive license to use the executable version of the Software for non-commercial use only. Non-commercial use means: you may not sell, rent, lease or lend the output of the Software or the Services. If you are a for-profit organization of any kind, or an employee of a for-profit organization using the Software or Services in that capacity, you are engaged in commercial activity; therefore, in order to use the Software and Services, you must purchase a SketchUp Pro license.
( this came to my attention from http://www.mastersketchup.com/sketchup2013/ )

I guess anyone w/ an Etsy store either doesn't upgrade, or has to pay the $95 annual ``license maintenance fee'' --- what happens if one makes something for personal use, then needs to move and goes to sell it in a yard sale? Is one then guilty of the same sort of thoughtcrime the BATF uses to control cartridge firearms manufacture w/o an FFL?

How does everyone else feel about this sort of thing?

My inclination is to create a new page for commercial software on the wiki and place all the payware and license-limited freeware there --- any objections?

This also has moved making a new ``Hello World'' Shapeoko file to the top of my To-Do list for the weekend.

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Improbable Construct

Re: Software licensing concerns

Post by Improbable Construct » Fri May 24, 2013 4:56 pm

I know I have some feelings about this, but I am not sure what they are at the moment.
I do think you should create a new page for commercial software on the wiki and place all the payware and license-limited freeware there.
That is a start at least.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Fri May 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Done.

I feel a bit better, but I still can't believe that people are willing to go back to the bad-old days of mainframe-style software licensing.

_1984_ was supposed to be a cautionary tale, not a guide for planning the future.

Also submitted it as a story to Slashdot.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

DanMc

Post by DanMc » Mon May 27, 2013 3:58 am

I do find it interesting that SW companies are moving in the annual fee direction. Vectorworks has been pushing people to do that for the last 2 years or so as well. I'm sure they want to stabilize their income and not have ups and downs based on how successful their updates are and I totally understand that. For those of us that use design software for work we are already budgeting something every year for SW so there's not much difference there for me. I think for those of us that aren't at the point where we need to budget for yearly upgrades it's too small potatoes for Trimble to worry about. I think it's to their benefit to allow very small commercial users to use the free version in the hopes that their business would expand and they either see the need for or have the cash and guilty conscience to pony up for the Pro version.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon May 27, 2013 8:50 am

They're getting ready to compete with the so-called "cloud" models, where there's no software on the client's machine, so the only way to pay for it is a subscription. I think they're buying (too much) into the "software-as-a-service" view.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:42 pm

I for one am not keen on the subscription model. In Will's original post, he mentions the Adobe thing. For my personal use, in the past I would buy an Adobe License and I have that software as perfectly usable and good until either the features are out of date, or it would not support new cameras ( Had to upgrade Lightroom when I got my 5D mkIII). Now, the home user is continuously are shelling out money just to keep using the thing.

At work, I use the the full Adobe suite. So, In adobe's defense, I will offer the other side of the coin... They used to have to work on an 18 month cycle due to some sort of tax situation that many software companies were stuck in. They were allowed to release patches and fixes, nothing in the way of feature changes. This is why they could not have major update releases, even though they already had all sorts of goodies written. They tried to lukewarm success to do .5 type releases that offered a new layer of items, but this was not a true release, and I am not sure how they made that even stick. They had to wait until the end of the cycle when they switched models and went to the cloud model. So, now the legalese speaks in such a way that they can add to the current product at will, and as such, you are continuously getting the latest and greatest. I will say too, that the speed increases and newly added features were very valuable. More, when you have 8 edit rooms and you know that all 8 are sitting on exactly the same bit of software, you know that any project should be able to travel to another room without issue. (Well, that would be true if the Apple filing system weren't all screwed up and causing permissions issues everywhere, but that is another story).

Taking that thought into this side of the world, does the CAD/CAM world change so much that they need to go to such a model? Are they releasing new ground breaking ideas so fast as to update the software all the time, or is this being done to assure more revenue flow?
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

akhlut

Post by akhlut » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:42 pm

Personally, I take an alltogether different approach. Don't get me wrong - new, nifty features are really nice. But why not just use older software? I'd love to model things in Fusion360, but I stick with Inventor Fusion BECAUSE it was purposefully abandoned by Autodesk. Companies have no interest in protecting IP that they gave away for free. So there's no/minimal support, it's a small price to pay for free software.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:01 pm

Unfortunately, abandonware leaves one at the mercy of operating system updates as to whether or no one will continue to be able to use it --- I'm feeling that pain / concern w/ Macromedia Freehand MX --- I have to keep my machine at work at 10.6.8 and can't upgrade to anything newer, since it won't run in 10.7 or later (unless I set up a virtual machine running Mac OS X Server 10.6 --- I'm still considering that).

There's also the issue of not being able to share the files as readily if other people can't get new licenses (that's not an issue w/ FreeHand though).

Nigel K Tolley

Post by Nigel K Tolley » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:17 pm

New features are always being added to CAD and CAM packages. Alibre was on release 14 when it got bought out and renamed. Auto CAD gave up on version numbers years ago.
So yes, it advances pretty fast.

Perhaps worse than the DRM on the software, all the high end CNC lathes and milling machines have DRM and movement sensors built in, which disable the machine if it is physically moved more than a few yards!

Great for anti theft, but it is there, because terrorists.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk