Wiki Reformatting

Have a suggestion for the website or forum? Post it here.
edwardrford

Wiki Reformatting

Post by edwardrford » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:51 pm

All,

I've added a new section to the wiki sidebar and re-organized some of the material we've already created. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Please read the intro/overview section of the Build Instructions first. That'll give you an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish.

There are several sections from the existing assembly instructions (step by step) that can be migrated over to their new corresponding sections. If anyone is up for that, and feels like they have a good idea of what's going on with the restructuing, please feel free to do it.

I'm chipping away at this a little at a time and realize it's hard for anyone else to do the work considering the 'blueprint' is really only in my head right now. I'll try to add as much skeleton information as possible in hopes that others will fill in the details.

I also mention a PDf document in the intro/overview section. I have that 90% completed at the moment, but don't want to share it in hopes of preventing conflicting documents. I'll try to get that and it's scribus source up on github tonight.

As Burke mentioned before, there are hundreds of new Shapeoko users about to receive their kits (when Inventables ships them) and I want the wiki to be in the best shape it's ever been. That will prevent a lot of repeat forum questions and hopefully give us a scalable outline moving forward with the project.

As always, I'm open for suggestions on all of this.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

edwardrford

Re: Wiki Reformatting

Post by edwardrford » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:44 pm

OK, more work on the wiki today, I think i'm happy with the structure of the new Build Instructions.

I put all of the images at the top of each page so people would know they were looking at the correct step. I need to add a disclaimer that the image shown might not be the most up to date image available. It may not be all that readable either. Probably note that to view the most current drawing, to download the PDF.

What do we think? Is this setup confusing. It makes perfect sense to me, but that doesn't really mean much :-)

I've also uploaded the start of what will be the PDF file. So far I only have instructions done for the first 6 steps. Hopefully I'll have time tonight to finish up the rest of the steps.

Looking for feedback.

-Edward
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:13 pm

Edward,

The new build drawings look great. I think the pictorial build steps are clear and concise. I can't read the notations in the images, but I am using my garage computer so that may have something to do with it. I will take a look at the PDF later tonight after you post it.
When I built my ShapeOko I thought the instructions were top notch and this looks like it will make it even easier. I built my ORDbot Hadron about a week later and I found those directions to be much more confusing and unclear, so you are already ahead of the game!

-Brandon
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

Burke LaShell

Post by Burke LaShell » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:42 pm

I can't read the notations in the images
I love the new images, but I can't read the text either. The png files don't scale to fit my entire screen. Is there another format you can save them as?

edwardrford

Wiki Reformatting

Post by edwardrford » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:16 am

Thanks for the ffedback guys. As I've told Burke several times, one of the parts of the project that I want to really 'shine' is the documentation. I've had horrible experiences with 99% of DIY projects I've attempted and want Shapeoko to be the gold standard for open hardware projects.

The images at the top of the pages are just to alert users they are on the correct step. Maybe I should take the annotations out, and just leave the exploded views? That would force users to open the PDF document (which is crystal clear).

You can download a preliminary example from the 'intro/overview' page. (Step 0).

I'm really close to having the scribus document done, which, should anyone want to help out with that, will put the icing on the cake.

I'm wondering now, if we shouldn't migrate some of the information from the current steps over to the new pages? I think the step by step stuff that Burke came up with is really great information and I know lots of people have commented on how clear and helpful it is. I don't want to lose that with the new format.

This is getting good. Really good!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:04 pm

OK, I've started changing all of the pictures to the clean/shaded exploded views, instead of the annotated views shown in the PDF. Again, these headline pictures are just to give users a visual clue they are looking at the correct page, I hope this helps clear that up.

Do we think it would be prudent to link to the individual PDF page from each step on the wiki?

For instance, if you click on the exploded view picture, maybe it presents the PDF download of that drawing?

Just brainstorming here. Open for suggestions.

-Edward
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:09 pm

Sorry for the double post. (I feel like Atomsoft now, replying to my own stuff :D )

I also uploaded a newer PDF file to the main overview page. Same filename/version number. We'll keep it at v1 until it's done, then it'll change to v1i.

Also, new data in the github repository. Updated Inventor Files, better PDF 2D files, and all 2D files in PNG format. But, most importantly, the source for the documentation has been uploaded. If anyone wants to finish up the few steps that are left, and merge them with the existing, please let me know and we'll figure out how to get it done.

-Edward
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Improbable Construct

Post by Improbable Construct » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Edward,

The PDF is looking great. I like the instructions up in the corners.
The clean views on the individual pages are nice. I think that a link to the individual PDF page on each step page would be a good thing. Clicking on the picture to get the PDF page is a great idea. I don't think it would hurt to have the assembly text on the step page either. It would mean duplicate info but would be nice for people giving it a quick glance or looking for the general assembly overview.
Shapeoko #Classified some of the bolts may be original parts.
Shapeoko 1 # ???? Stainless plates, still in the box.
Shapeoko 2 # 3926 not stock
Shapeoko 3 # 0003
Store:
http://ImprobableConstruct.com
Twitter:
https://twitter.com/ImprblConstruct

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:22 pm

That's a good idea IC.

So we'll basically have 3 sections per page:

Section 1: Exploded View image of Step
Section 2: Instructions
Section 3: User contributed notes

I've knocked out the first two already.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

bobt

Post by bobt » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:05 am

I like what has been done so far..... BUT how about putting the bill of materials used in each step under the instructions so that someone (ME) knows how many of what parts are used for this step. I remember when I was MUCH younger and overhauled cars and engines that I always had a double hand full of nuts and bolts left over and NO IDEA where they went but it was obvious that they were not needed because the car ran just fine... well most of the time....

Bobt
"What Box???" ShapeOko #397