Wiki Reformatting

Have a suggestion for the website or forum? Post it here.
edwardrford

Re: Wiki Reformatting

Post by edwardrford » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:20 am

I generally employ the same philosophy when doing assembly. If there's anything left over, it must be extra :D

The BoM is a good idea too. Although more work than the instructions because it requires building a table. I like mediawiki and all, but the syntax for table building is a little rough around the edges. I might look for an automated solution (csv -> mediawiki markup?)

In the meantime, there is a BoM on each page of the PDF instructions, so that should at least get you started.

You can download the latest PDF from the downloads section on the github page

https://github.com/shapeoko/ShapeOko/downloads

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

alpha

Post by alpha » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:53 am

edwardrford wrote:You can download the latest PDF from the downloads section on the github page

https://github.com/shapeoko/ShapeOko/downloads
Yes, I think you nailed it... this is definitely the gold standard for open source hardware documentation, and also some commercial manufactures can learn from your work.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:38 pm

More wiki work done today. I included a top level (summarized (ie flat)) BoM at the bottom of the intro page. This is a sortable mediawiki table. if you're interested in knowing how I did it, have a look at the associated discussion page for more information.

I'll probalby move forward with adding the same type of table to each page, but need to generate the CSV files first. That's not hard, but time consuming as they need to be exported from the drawings' parts list before the conversion can take place.

I also spent a little more time on the PDF document. Added a cover page, publish date, and page numbers. Along with a header on each page and the open hardware logo (you can never show that too many time, right?)

There are a couple of pages left in the PDf that need instructions written for them (Steps 10, 11, 12, 13). If anyone feels comfortable writing those please feel free to do so. If it would be easier, just send them to me in an email or PM and I'll paste each into their respective page. Also, if that's something you're going to do, please post here saying something simple like "I'll do step #10"... that way two people aren't doing the same job.

Getting close.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:42 pm

OK, To all of the relevant pages, I've added a BoM. I also made all of the pictures at the tops of the pages links to their respective PDF files, which required each Page be published as an individual file. Normally that would be a PITA, but scribus has a feature that lets you do that on publish. You basically tell it "hey, publish this document, and while you're doing that, make an individual PDF of each page too".. So that was handy.

I did end up finding a csv to mediawiki converter (hooray!), you can see it here: http://area23.brightbyte.de/csv2wp.php I was half tempted to write my own, but why re-invent the wheel. The one listed works quite well.

There's not a BoM on every page yet. I've run out of wiki-editing time (and patience) for the day, so the rest will have to come tomorrow or over the weekend.

Please have a look around and let me know if there's anything that needs fixin. Or even better, go ahead and make the fix :-)

Cheers!
Edward
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Will Winder

Post by Will Winder » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:13 pm

I noticed a few of the blue lines in the assembly diagrams that are in the wrong spots.

Step 4 the line for the motor moved into the motor.
Step 7 there seems to be an extra blue line that doesn't go from or to anything.
Step 8 there is an extra blue line.
Step 10 the bottom far line moved up into the wrong spot.
Step 11 there seems to be an extra line going through the belt bracket
Step 12 the same extra line going through a belt bracket.
ShapeOko #367: Dual-Y drive, Belt on outside, 1000mm Y-Axis, DW660 Spindle, Nema-23 X/Y motors.

Primary developer on Universal Gcode Sender.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:49 pm

Good eyes.

Step 4: That blue line represents the plate moving 'away' from the motor. Where I should have pulled the motor away from the plate.
Step 7: The blue line in the middle represents the pull of SM-ZA01 away from SM-XA01
Step 8: Same as 7 (SM-YA01 moving away from MSK01-02)
Step 10: That's the line for the spindle moving away from the motor mount (or the opposite)
Step 11: Not sure what that's from. Maybe the belt anchor moving away from the plate...?
Step 12: OK, now I see. Both 11 and 12 are representing that group of components moving away from the plates.

If anyone wants to fix those, just email me the revisions and I'll upload them to the repository. If they go unfixed, I'll get back at them at some point in the future.

In the meatime, maybe just add those comments to the 'user notes' section of their respective steps on the wiki.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock