Chat

Have a suggestion for the website or forum? Post it here.
JCPhlux

Chat

Post by JCPhlux » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:09 pm

I am a member of some other online communities and they have chat so that people can pop in and talk about issues they are having or get quick answers to questions. Also I like to just sit in the chat and talk to pople with simular intrest.
In the phpbb forums there is a suggestion to use mChat and they claim it is easy to install.

edwardrford

Re: Chat

Post by edwardrford » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:26 pm

I'm split on the chat idea.

On the one hand it would be nice to have that 'feature' if theoretically you could get a quick response. In my experience, people are just as likely to reply as quickly to a forum post. But just to 'chat' it would be nice. I mean, who doesn't like to talk CNC!

But on the other hand, if you haven't noticed by now, I'm a bit of a data whore :-) So, the thought of all that useful information disappearing after the session has ended scares me.

I'll take a look and see what it entails.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

Burke LaShell

Post by Burke LaShell » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:49 pm

Another option would be to schedule a Google+ Hangout. Would anyone like to demo something in a Hangout?

JCPhlux

Post by JCPhlux » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:17 am

I spend allot of time in chat on other forums I think there is something about just chatting with like minded people. Sometimes it is more about doing what is right for the community then answering a question.
--
John R Cutburth II
Twitter @JohnCutburth

DrRob

Post by DrRob » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:12 am

I'm gonna have to become nocturnal if you're all going to start chatting and hanging out... ;-)

JCPhlux

Post by JCPhlux » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:12 pm

we can have shifts that way there will always be some one in there. Maybe to Edwards concern we could always transfer important info into the forums or the wiki. I have found that most of the time it is more a place for people to ask a question and get pointed to a place in the forum where it has already been answered.
--
John R Cutburth II
Twitter @JohnCutburth

JCPhlux

RE: Chat

Post by JCPhlux » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:32 pm

I was talking to the guys in the Netduino chat and they say that there moderators review there chat logs to make sure nothing good is lost.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
--
John R Cutburth II
Twitter @JohnCutburth

BHSPitMonkey

Post by BHSPitMonkey » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:05 pm

I'm lurking now in #shapeoko on irc.freenode.net, if anyone wants to join. I'm all for having a channel to talk about the project and share experiences.

T4b

Post by T4b » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:40 pm

If there is a chat, I'm for irc.
A lot of irc channels are logged, that shouldn't be hard to set up, so the information wouldn't be lost like edward feared (if you put them into a public directory they would also be easy to search - for example using wget -O - http://www.shapeoko.com/logs.txt | grep -e 'whatever I\'m searching' . Okay, have to admit, maybe not easy for everyone. But you could provide a search engine too).
In my opinion the place to store useful information is the wiki and not the forum anyway. ;)
ShapeOko #658
--
There are 10 kinds of people: Those who understand binary notation, those who don't and those who confuse it with ternary.