Possible clean up needed on "Materials Feeds and Speeds"

Have a suggestion for the website or forum? Post it here.
MeanderBolt

Possible clean up needed on "Materials Feeds and Speeds"

Post by MeanderBolt » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:22 pm

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... ls#Acrylic
All the information is given in mm except the cut depth which says .08" which to me, and I am sure many others, would say inches (or better stated for accuracy since this is my goal here).
If it is .08 mm (as millimeters is what the rest of this set of numbers is listed as), we should add the mm to the end.
Or, if it is truly .08" , then perhaps consider listing this number as 2.03 mm.
But when you are entering this information into a cam program it makes no sense to make folks stop and have to calculate mid stride. They are either entering in mm or inches, not both.

I know that info is added as needed or errors are noticed. I would help and tweak things if I knew how, or perhaps this is how to help for now and just point things out. But thanks none the less.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Possible clean up needed on "Materials Feeds and Speeds"

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:31 pm

A good point.

I've been meaning to go through that entire page and tidy it all up --- I wish that there was an option in the wiki where any value could be tagged as length and one could have a pop-up / option for choosing metric or Imperial and have the server do the calculation for you to show measurements in your preferred system (showing the original in parentheses).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

MeanderBolt

Re: Possible clean up needed on "Materials Feeds and Speeds"

Post by MeanderBolt » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:02 pm

I think it would be difficult job to make a truly unified chart as there are so many little variables. Which machine, what upgrades, what spindle, which bits...
I think that you should provide a chart for the stock spindle that will get people up and running.
Then perhaps have a second chart or more, based on spindle, bits...

But you are right, a web based widget would be nice.
I have found a couple, but they also assume much larger machines. I even tried a couple of apps for Android, but they assume commercial sized components.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log