FAQ for the wiki?

Have a suggestion for the website or forum? Post it here.
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

FAQ for the wiki?

Post by WillAdams » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:49 pm

Somehow, we seemed to've missed that.

Here's a quick first pass at it --- anything I missed?

The first pass got posted to the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

turtle13

Re: FAQ for the wiki?

Post by turtle13 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:39 pm

One thing that I searched for forever was invert mask values
32=x
64=y
128=z

I'm sure there are a lot of people that this is general info, but it's not really explained very well that a novice understands.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:46 pm

I think that's pretty prominently featured in the current version of the docs, but I've gone ahead and added it as well.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:17 pm

Coming from one of the greener people here, I think if you are going to do FAQ's, there should be a couple different FAQ pages. More, you have answered most of these questions in one form or another already in many places in the Wiki. And many of the questions are answered via links. You have already been doing this like a champ. My one request is (if this is possible). When you place a link, can you do it in such a way that it opens a new tab vs. taking you away from the source page. So many of the links lead one down a rabbit trail of reading, then you are frustrated because you are not sure where you came from. Having the link open a new page/tab, allows the reader to go back to reading where they left off.

There are a ton of pre-purchase questions I see you answering over and over. This comes from people totally new to CNC who do not have all the terms in the head yet. More, there are some terms that will not click over to real logic until other terms are understood and sometimes it is hard to know what to read first. But, this would be great for the questions like how much accuracy should I expect.

Then we pull the trigger on the machine. Perhaps a FAQ, for what to expect while you are expecting stages.
What should I be doing while my machine is not here. (learning CAD / CAM / Universal G-Code tool chain...)
Might be a good time to place a link to the information page about end mills.
What to have on hand whilst building. Suggestions for setting up a work area.
Also, perhaps some reassurance that they made the right choice in purchasing the machine. It is too exciting yet to get buyers remorse, yet too far away to feel like it was worthy. This is a weird bit of worry for a $300-600+ machine we have no idea how to use. Heh heh.

A FAQ for building time...
This may also tie into the what to have on hand.
My tap handle will not grip the tap. What do I do?
My threaded rod is wobbling. How do I fix this?
How do I get everything aligned?

Coming from personal experience, I think a section for first timers to ease worries before the first fully built real power up / running would be a huge relief as you are already worried about so many different things because this is all so new, then all the sudden some normal situations start to happen, which to the seasoned Shapeoko user which would seem common. things that if they stop and read it could reduce a lot of stress to the greener masses. Thing like...
What end mill should I use for the first 'hello world' cut? (The instructions just states something like "use the appropriate end mill")
My machine sounds like (fill in the blank), is this normal?
My steppers / drivers are really hot, is this normal?
I have my machine set up for mm, but after the hello world, it moves in inches...

thing I have seen other newer folks post...
How much does alignment matter? While I know some angles are out of whack, things seem to be working pretty good.

Hopefully this is helpful. Thanks Will!!!
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:54 pm

Good timing on the FAQ topic Will. And good feedback MeanderBolt.

Not sure if you've noticed, but a new landing page (and some subpages) have taken over shapeoko.com. One of the subpages that I'd really like to populate, is a FAQ. For reference, I have a template setup here: http://www.shapeoko.com/faq.php

Breaking it down into the high level topics that MeanderBolt referenced seems like a very good idea and would be easily approachable by someone new to the site. After thinking about this for a little while, it really seems like two difference FAQs are in order.

@Will - what do you think our best path to not duplicate work be? Enter them into the wiki and then simply copy and paste, or set them up in on the page I linked, and reference that page from the wiki? Or - something else entirely?

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:00 pm

I'd like to see all the assembly things go into either the docs proper, or http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... leshooting

Similarly, we already have a page for Operation Troubleshooting --- http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... leshooting

Another similar page is Fine Tuning --- http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Tuning

So, it seems to me that this FAQ link should cover everything else. Some sort of structure / hierarchy would be good --- I started it just to capture all the information which had been put on the Q&A section of the Inventables's ShapeOko page.

Not familiar w/ PHP --- what's involved in placing the information on the server so that it will show up at: http://www.shapeoko.com/faq.php ? (mental note we'll need to change the sidebar link once the content is live).

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:11 pm

Although the faq page has a php extension, that's only to load the header file (navbar and forum login code) and the styling so all the pages look the same. The actual content can simply be typed directly into the page like one would do for an html document.

One thought, more for a mental note to myself, is for each faq entry, we could always link to *more* information about the topic on the wiki.

As a side note: (I'll start a separate thread on this topic) I've been experimenting with ways to share the site's code on github. Some pages (with sensitive information like credentials) will need to be excluded, but I think it would great to give anyone who's interested an avenue to help improve the site. This faq page is a good example of that.

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:22 pm

Okay, FWIW, I had already put this on the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ

and made a link in the Sidebar --- that link will need to be updated once the other page is ready to go live. Let me know where the html file the php pulls in is and how to edit it and I'll see what I can do.

William

MeanderBolt

Post by MeanderBolt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:53 pm

Hey Will, just looked at the FAQ link again. A couple of things come to mind. It seems like you are duplicating your work. But I will tread carefully as I do appreciate how much work is going into this.

There are several of these things that would fit better in the "Upgrades" section than a FAQ. (NEMA 23, Homing Switches)
Being that there is already an upgrades section, would these end up cluttering up the FAQ?

For clarification...
"What are the dimensions of an assembled machine?" Is this S1 or S2?

The Eccentric nuts are all posting on the forum. Heh heh.
Right. Sorry... The Eccentric nuts is a excellent visual which should go directly on the actual build instructions. If it were there, I believe that no one would be asking about this or looking for it.

I will toss this out there too. Something that I believe that should take a high priority, if you are actively working on the wiki, is the first job page. It is the moment of truth in the build, but it is the area that has the most holes. There are multiple instances where it says to "enter the following values" (in the makercam section) "Engrave Your Letter", "Engrave the Border", and "Create a Profile". But there is also a link to a Makercam tutorial, and reference to a cutting speeds / Materials list. The speeds and materials list is not consistent on which tool is being referenced for which material. While it is just my opinion, you should have a simple once through just like the rest of the instructions to get the user through the first full experience, then send them off to read about all the other materials and speeds, and more about the Makercam. But I think since you have taken them this far providing full information, kicking them out of the nest before they have even had their first flight is a little harsh. This is not so much FAQ, but it was the section that really tripped me and took what was smooth sailing and something that should have only taken 15 minutes, and became a almost an hour. It had me searching and reading all the place trying to find the right set of numbers for the job at hand. Instead of leaving it open for the first job, suggest a specific material, a specific bit, and specific numbers, based on the Dremel style tool sent with the kit. If folks don't want to follow the plans, so be it, that is their choice, but at least have a solid set of plans.
Looking back on it, in reality, the letter was not a hard task, but at the moment, it was. I have now been playing with more difficulty and pushing myself to try more harder things. But you need that first success to see that the things works. I know I said some similar things last week and I am sorry for the repetition, but you want your folks to be successful and have a good experience with the machine, not a frustrating experience. Now, I will say that the frustration faded VERY quickly when the thing took off and started cutting.
Shapeoko 2 # 3569 - DW660
Current tool chain > Draftsight > CamBam > ChiliPeppr
Build log

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:03 am

Okay, I've gotten the First Job page to what I hope is a basically workable state. Still need to install Java and make screen grabs or see if the images are already on github.

I've added a few things to the FAQ and will see about sectioning and sorting it later today and review this thread one more time to see if I missed anything. I want to keep each section down to one screen-full.

There're two other pages which are going to need a major updating --- hoping to get to them next.