Please test the SVG diagrams

Have a suggestion for the website or forum? Post it here.
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Please test the SVG diagrams

Post by WillAdams » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:01 pm

which are here:

http://docs.shapeoko.com/wheels.html

Please report back whether or no they work for you and in what combination of browser / platform.

Thanks.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Re: Please test the SVG diagrams

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:29 pm

For me, using Chrome on Windows XP, clicking on the thumbnail does nothing (as usual), clicking on the image (or on the legend) opens a larger version (in-place, not in a new window or tab, which is fine), and in this larger version, clicking on the legend toggles on and off an orange highlight for the respective items (and also makes the legend text red). The large version of the SVG scales with the browser window, with half the window for the image proper and half for the legend (which wastes some space).

It also works exactly the same in Firefox.

It does not work in Internet Explorer 8: all I see are the Shapeoko 2 banner and the left-hand navigation menu, and the page is otherwise blank. The 'Electronics' page displays (with a broken 'Generic electronics layout' image), but the 'Carriages' page doesn't (the status bar says 'Error on page.', just like 'Wheels & Idlers').
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:52 pm

I see the same as Catalin, but also tried viewing with my iPhone - I get the blank page we were seeing on the iPad the other day.
Functionality in Chrome looks great though!
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:25 am

Drat.

There doesn't seem to be a straight-forward way around the error when using Internet Explorer 8 --- but I question if that even matters --- it's down to ~7 or 8%, and that should go down even further when Windows XP is EOL'd next month.

One negative is that it's currently necessary to have two different files for the diagrams.

I'll go ahead and make the balance of them, then we can decide what to do about the files.

William
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

Enraged

Post by Enraged » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:01 am

Chrome in Windows 7, the SVGs open in the same window (as opposed to a new window or tab, and if you choose to change it, a new tab is better for me), all highlighting shows up.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:17 am

Thanks.

Yes, a new tab would be nice, but I don't see a way to change that using Markdown syntax --- apparently it can be done using HTML instead: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4425 ... 23#4425223

It's a pretty convoluted construct which is being used already, and it's simple enough for a person to right/control click and explicitly choose to put the image/link in a new tab, and most people understand how the back button works, so I think I'll defer looking into that until after they're all done.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:37 am

It's so easy to open things in new tabs in today's browsers, that I prefer to leave that choice up to the user. Let a regular click do the standard thing: open the link in the same tab. If I want another tab, I simply press the scroll wheel instead of the left mouse button (or, on my laptop, I press both trackpad buttons). And if I realize I wanted it in another tab after having clicked on it, I simply click the back button with the scroll wheel: that takes me back, but in a new tab. My point is, it's fine as it is.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams

Re: Please test the SVG diagrams (Now w/ X-ray vision)

Post by WillAdams » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:01 am

Cool.

Here's another file to test:

http://docs.shapeoko.com/content/tPictu ... 21-100.svg

Should fill the window when opened and give one ``X-ray vision'' into the assembly --- let me know if it seems reasonable, or if any improvements might be made.

William

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:27 am

Works like a charm in Chrome on Win7

I like the 'X-Ray Vision' :D
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:27 pm

Thanks!

I think that'll be the full ``language'' for the parts highlighting --- hopefully I can finish the balance of the diagrams this evening, then I guess we'll need to come up w/ a solution for Internet Explorer 8 (but AFAICT there hasn't been a complaint yet?)