Materials feeds and speeds --- wood

Have a suggestion for the website or forum? Post it here.
WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Materials feeds and speeds --- wood

Post by WillAdams » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:20 pm

Looking at this, I was wondering if we shouldn't re-arrange this and sort it by the janka hardness scale.

The one problem w/ doing that is that engineered products tend to not be so measured --- move them to the end?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

TDA

Re: Materials feeds and speeds --- wood

Post by TDA » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:21 pm

Organizing them by Janka may help keep a structure to it. However, keep in mind Janka is by far not the only factor in determining feeds and speeds. As an example Rosewood or Ebony will need slower feeds then their hardness would dictate due to integration of silica into the grain of the wood. Red oak usually needs slower feeds as the grain of the wood makes it prone to chip out at feeds one might expect from the hardness rating. Additionally, those that don't understand the significance of the Janka scale may be confused by organization that way. Just my 2 cents though.
Last edited by TDA on Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Torrez
Think & Tinker / PreciseBits

Woodworker

Re: Materials feeds and speeds --- wood

Post by Woodworker » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:35 pm

Also the feeds,speed and bit choice will vary with the moisture content. I would keep it alphabetical with composites and laminated wood at the end. Just my cent and a half.
BRuce - SO2 #4798 - IC's Z axis upgrade, customized Z rail and Z motor mount, spindle Dewalt 611