Chinese spindle (the 2nd best thing I've done for my Shapeok

Nutz95

Re: Chinese spindle (the 2nd best thing I've done for my Sha

Post by Nutz95 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:19 pm

Hello i posted a similar topic about chinese spindle, i added my inverter parameters and i also put some tips to make your own DIY shielded cable.
http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1989

forgottenCNC

Post by forgottenCNC » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:08 am

After having the spindle for some time now I can say I'm still happy with it...

But there is one big fault in it and that is the connector used on the spindle, I was suspect of its voltage rating from day one and it turned out I was right. As you can see from the photos the centre pins were arching to the outer casing of the connector ( which is grounded by the cable braid ) casing carbon build up, with the end result causing my RCD to trip each time I started the spindle.

I have now replaced the connector and the spindle is working again :)

m0rr0w

Post by m0rr0w » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:46 am

I was just wondering where you sourced your spindle mount from. I went ahead and got the same spindle based on your recommendation. The thing is a beast and I wanted to be sure that I got something that would be up to the challenge of holding it in place.

forgottenCNC

Post by forgottenCNC » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:29 am

m0rr0w wrote:I was just wondering where you sourced your spindle mount from. I went ahead and got the same spindle based on your recommendation. The thing is a beast and I wanted to be sure that I got something that would be up to the challenge of holding it in place.
I made the mount myself, it's nothing special - just a block of 10mm think aluminium.
Attachments
Spindle holder.zip
Sketch-up file
(40.12 KiB) Downloaded 258 times

typomaniac

Post by typomaniac » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:34 am

Hey forgottenCNC,

are you still happy with your chinese spindle? I also put one 1,5 kw water cooled spindle on my shapoko about 1,5 years ago but i never made the x-axis tight with that weight. My spindle can flex a lot because i cannot tighten the v-wheels which are next to the spindle enough. What changes did you make to support that monster? I am already thinking about a kress spindle downgrade because of all the bending ...
thank you!
tm
Proud owner of eShapeOko #17 :-) (Dual-X, Grbl 0.8a)

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Post by BLAHBLAHBLAH » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:30 pm

How much do these spindles cost. On my mob. Cheers

Schruminator

Post by Schruminator » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:37 pm

BLAHBLAHBLAH wrote:How much do these spindles cost. On my mob. Cheers
Please check eBay or AliExpress if you're looking for ballpark prices. Keep in mind that you will also need a VFD to drive these and possible a water cooling system if you choose a spindle that requires that.
1.8m x 1.0m SO2 #3638 / Vectric Aspire / ACME Z-axis / View my photography at http://www.mschrum.com

stargeezer

Post by stargeezer » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:01 am

Thanks for posting this thread and for keeping it updated. I am also going with a 1.5kw spindle like you did but have elected to use a water cooled unit. I was wondering if you would post a few detail photos of your mount. I'm using a acme thread screw, but there are a couple spots I'm concerned with the strength of the usual plate and derilin wheels.

I've considered converting the Z axis to a set of 10mm smooth rods, linear bearings, acme screw and plates combo - but if I did go that far, I might want to do the same thing to the X axis too and take all the twist out of it. :)