Chinese spindle (the 2nd best thing I've done for my Shapeok

Cwalster

Re: Chinese spindle (the 2nd best thing I've done for my Sha

Post by Cwalster » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:00 am

Just because its a 1.5KW spindle doesnt mean its putting 1.5KW worth of work into the machine. Assuming you have proper feeds and speeds, its probably barely even loading up since you can't put real big tools in (and I'd be afraid to load it up anyways). The real fun happens when something goes wrong and it crashes. I'd be interested if you have any information on what happens then yet. I have a similarly powerful router waiting on a good mount.

roberlin

Post by roberlin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:55 am

I think I remember you can set a current limit on these VFDs. (maybe I'm making that up)
Seems like it could help on the crashes.

zerblatt007

Post by zerblatt007 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:53 am

forgottenCNC wrote: -The spindle itself weighs about 6Kg
Oohh, that would seem kind of heavy compared to the other spindles, but if you say it is a-ok I will believe it.. :)
And from the pictures I do not see a double-X even..

This is serious cool and I am on the edge of purchasing the same product from the UK.
Shapeoko #958: Dual-Y drive, Double-X, Belt on outside, 1m Y-Axis, Acme Z, Opened up and boxed in. Kress 1050 Spindle.

joaoandre

Post by joaoandre » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:14 am

Hi,

I am doing some research about the spindle I will use in my shapeoko.
I am very interested in these spindles that they sell on ebay (like yours), so I would like to know how is your doing. You have it for some months now, is the machine holding up well?
I am going for a dual motor drive and double x profiles. I also found a 0.8Kw that I think will weight a little less. (Did you find the weight to be a problem?)
My biggest concern is the weight it causes on the machine, and arching or twisting consequences, 'cause I'm thinking about scaling the shapeoko to double its size.

Thanks,
Joao

forgottenCNC

Post by forgottenCNC » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:09 am

joaoandre wrote:Hi,

I am doing some research about the spindle I will use in my shapeoko.
I am very interested in these spindles that they sell on ebay (like yours), so I would like to know how is your doing. You have it for some months now, is the machine holding up well?
I am going for a dual motor drive and double x profiles. I also found a 0.8Kw that I think will weight a little less. (Did you find the weight to be a problem?)
My biggest concern is the weight it causes on the machine, and arching or twisting consequences, 'cause I'm thinking about scaling the shapeoko to double its size.

Thanks,
Joao
I've had no issues with the Chinese spindle, only improvement in cutting – I've cut Aluminium , perspex and made PCBs all with great results over the “Dremel” - with a LOT less noise :-)

Personally I see no issue with the weight, my point of view is the end mill (A.K.A cutting bit) is the thing that is doing all the hard work and if anything the extra weight of the spindle helps eliminate small vibrations, you are more likely to get forces greater then 6kg being feed back into the gantry from the end mill as it cuts. the stepper motors have no issue moving the spindle either.

If spindle “power” is a concern you can limit the current on the VFD to lower it's output power – I have not done this because I see no point.

jluther

Post by jluther » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:28 pm

The key with minimizing weight in my point of view is to allow faster movements and acceleration. This is a particular concern when using a 3D printer because there are a lot of stop and reverse points. However, if you ran steel at those feedrates in a shapeoko the belts would flex and skip due to the tool pressure.

Crashing that thing would only make a couple of belt skip noises and leave layers offset in increments of 2mm.

The weight will require a greater impulse to move the spindle. If the work is held down tight, the weight should improve the finish quality, and wear the X and Z axis V-bearings a little oddly.

calica

Post by calica » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:33 am

I'm close to purchasing one of these and have a few questions.

How slow can the spindle go? When it goes slow, do you have any heating issues?

Have you tried a 1/4" or 6mm endmill? Can you take deeper cuts by slowing feed rate and rpm?

Is the TIR quoted acccurate?

Anything new to report in the last few months?

Thanks for sharing.

calica

Post by calica » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:04 am

One more!

Is any none rotating point conductive to the collet (and endmill)? I'd really like a better solution than an alligator clip on my endmill for probing.

forgottenCNC

Post by forgottenCNC » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:58 am

calica wrote: How slow can the spindle go? When it goes slow, do you have any heating issues?
There is a mini speed for the spindle, I think it's about 100hz ( http://www.etech.net.au/Huanyang/Huanya ... nual-c.pdf ). No I have not had any heating issues.
calica wrote: Have you tried a 1/4" or 6mm endmill? Can you take deeper cuts by slowing feed rate and rpm?
You can get different collars to fit the spindle but I have not tried a 1/4 or 6mm endmill. As for cutting deeper by slowing feed rate, sure you can if you do the maths on cip loading.
calica wrote: Is the TIR quoted acccurate
No idea have not tested it.
calica wrote: Anything new to report in the last few months?
Nope, but there is a note: make sure you use shielded
calica wrote: Is any none rotating point conductive to the collet (and endmill)? I'd really like a better solution than an alligator clip on my endmill for probing.

Don't know, never tested it.

calica

Post by calica » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:43 am

Use shielded what? Cables for the steppers and limit switches?

Any problems with extra weight on the Z movement? Should I get an Acme screw or more powerful stepper?

Thanks again.