Chinese Watercooled 1.5kw Spindle

hjubm2

Chinese Watercooled 1.5kw Spindle

Post by hjubm2 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:00 am

Hi all,

I've just bought a 1.5kw Chinese Watercooled Spindle and I have a few questions I'm hoping someone on here that has experience with these Chinese spindles can answer.

The main question relates to the grounding of the spindle. I unscrewed the plug on the spindle to check the wires and I noticed that the ground pin is not connected to anything. Has anyone had any problems due to this or come up with an easy solution to fix it? I've seen it mentioned before on other forums about these spindles but have not seen any information about it causing problems. Also the shielded wiring I am using to go from the spindle to the VFD has a plastic coating on it, should I remove the plastic back to the braiding so it makes contact with the metal casing of the plug? I have read a couple of off comments related to this but I wanted to check first.

Lastly, does anyone have either a 3d model of a compatible 80mm holder that I can print out or a place that can offer fast shipping to Australia? I saw Nutz92's spindle mount on Thingiverse which would be perfect except that it's designed for the smaller diameter aircooled model instead of the 80mm watercooled one and my 3d modelling skills are virtually non existent so I can not easily modify that design or make my own.

I appreciate any insight or help that can be offer,
Thanks

forgottenCNC

Re: Chinese Watercooled 1.5kw Spindle

Post by forgottenCNC » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:27 am

The spindle its self does not need to be grounded to work but it should be grounded for safety,

As for shielding... there is no need to remove the plastic coating because shielding is only protecting against "radio" noise which pass thought plastic, now for the connection of the shield... for best results you should only connect one end of the shield to ground e.g ground the end at the VFD and leave the spindle end floating (not connected to anything).

In saying all this you should still ground the spindle its self by another wire (not via the shield itself, a separate wire inside the shield is OK). This way you will not get electrocuted if the spindle fails casing the case to become "live". Safety first ;)

hjubm2

Post by hjubm2 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:03 am

Thanks forgottenCNC, that answered nearly everything I needed to know. I think I got a few things mixed up in my first post so you've cleared it up now, thanks. How are you running the ground on yours? I'm thinking of running a separate wire from a terminal screwed to one of the connection screws and connected into the ground wire from the spindle and the VFD but that would involve cutting through the plastic and shielding to be able to get to the ground wire and I would prefer to keep it intact in case the water leaks. The only other way I can think of involves running a separate wire all the way from the VFD to the spindle which does not really seem practical. Any other better ways to run it without having to cut into the wire that I am missing?

Thanks

forgottenCNC

Post by forgottenCNC » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:28 am

I earthed the cable shield at the VFD into the earth terminal and ran a 6mm earth (its a over kill in size, but its what I had laying around) to the back of the spindle mount.

I ran the earth and spindle inside some sexy heat srink braid heat shrink braid

hjubm2

Post by hjubm2 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:04 am

Thanks again forgottenCNC, the pictures are a big help. Depending on what mount I can locate for the spindle I might try the ground in the same way, looks like one of the best ways to go about it.

Does anyone have any plans or a link for a decent 80mm mount? I've got one from ebay coming but it looks like there is too much weight behind it so I would prefer a lighter version.

Thanks

Vastempty

Post by Vastempty » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:07 pm

hjubm2, et al;

I am looking at getting something similar. What do you think of yours?

Do you have a link to the one you got? Did you find a solution to your mount question? The ones on ebay for a 80mm spindle look massive.

Tia, john

hjubm2

Post by hjubm2 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:28 am

Vastempty wrote:hjubm2, et al;

I am looking at getting something similar. What do you think of yours?

Do you have a link to the one you got? Did you find a solution to your mount question? The ones on ebay for a 80mm spindle look massive.

Tia, john
Hi John,

I'm still in the process of getting mine put together, I'm still waiting on the mount and pump to arrive. When I get a free moment I'm going to look into designing a 3d printed mount that I can print out of polycarbonate if the Chinese mount is too big. Basically I am just looking to use that mount as a gap filler so I can use the spindle to make a better, lighter & smaller mount for it. Well that's the plan anyway.

The Spindle I bought was this one: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/220953360972 ... 1497.l2649 If I was to buy another one I would most likely get the air-cooled version though. From what I have seen the weight of it is quite a bit more (around 6kg as opposed to the water-cooled one at 4.6kg) but it is a lot simpler to install due to not needing to run water tubing & the diameter apprears to be more reasonable at around 65mm instead of 80. Surprisingly the hardest part to source has been the pump for the water cooling. I have not been able to find anywhere local that has one in the right size due to the tubing being around 1/4". I've had to order one from China instead.

I hope that helps you out a bit, I'll keep this thread updated as parts arrive & it gets mounted.

Vastempty

Post by Vastempty » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:47 pm

Thanks I will watch this thread.

This is what I was looking at for cooling:

200GPH Submersible Water Pump Fish Tank Power Fountain
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261266055849?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

and

1/4" ID, 1/32" wall Thickness, 5/16" OD Latoratory clear Tygon PVC Tube

and a tank, what do you think?

and a remix of 2 of these for the mount(I have one for a 300W, works fine)...until I could find something better or make my own out of AL.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:26740

Good luck, I may look at air-cooled a little more and I will keep my eye out for progress and your design decisions.

Edit:
Have you seen this: http://ugracnc.com/technical-resources/ ... ystem.html
that would be cheap and easy to put togeather.

hjubm2

Post by hjubm2 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:01 am

That pump looks like it should work. Basically anything that has a roughly 1/4" fitting will work. Personally I have gone for an external pump instead of a submersible one. This is just my personal preference & it allows me to use some of the water cooling parts I have left over from computers.

That link you posted looks fairly close to how I was planning to do it all to start with until I discovered that the large aluminium passive heat sink/reservoir that I have had sitting around for years runs 1/4' lines as well so I will use that instead to save on noise and to keep it simpler.

In regards to a reservoir, from what I have read, if you are using a submersible pump you can use virtually anything you can find that holds a half decent amount of water. Originally I was planning to use a Single Slot Reservoir from a computer water cooling system along with a radiator but if you are planning to use it without a radiator and just rely on passive cooling I would personally use the largest container you are comfortable using as a reservoir. This would give the liquid time more time to cool down before being injected back into the cooling circuit.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

In regards to my progress I have now mounted the spindle. After receiving the Aluminium mount from China and finding out it weighs approx 1.5kg I quickly decided not to bother using it & designed a simple mount that I then printed out on my 3d Printer in ABS. I have not tested it while routing yet (Still waiting on water pump) but I have moved the machine around a few times with simple movements and there does not appear to be any movement problems due to the extra weight. So I guess we'll have to see how the Nema 17's hold up as time goes by. I've got some Nema 23's coming to help with the extra weight if required, along with a Gecko G540 so plenty more still to do. The main problem I have at the moment is trying to work out the best way to mount the Cable Chain so that it works correctly and does not get in the way and also how to run to water tubes to eliminate/minimise any problems if they leak.

So overall slowly making progress on all this. After seeing how huge the spindle looks compared to the Dremel (that I just happened to destroy the other day) it makes me even more eager to get this new one running. Hopefully by the end of the weekend it will at least be all hooked up.

hjubm2

Post by hjubm2 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:10 am

Quick update: Had a couple of small 10 minute jobs I had to do for a customer so I just threw together the water cooling system so the spindle was use-able. All was/is running perfectly except that the pump appears to be a bit underpowered for this task and the passive radiator does not seem to get rid of the heat quick enough. By the end of the second 10 minute job the radiator was around 38c close to the inlet and only dropped by about 2c by the time it got to the outlet. The other worrying part is that the spindle itself was measured at 41.6c by my thermocouple at the top mount. This is a lot higher then I would like to see it after only 20 minutes. Think I'm going to have to rethink this whole system.