800w Chinese spindle

RobCee

800w Chinese spindle

Post by RobCee » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:24 pm

So, the adventure commences with an 800w Chinese spindle + inverter package.
I managed to break the tool-change button on my stock rotary tool, which meant that I have to remove the whole thing to change tool. So I looked as the sort of upgrades I could manage and decided to give this a try.
It's allegedly an 800w spindle, which is probably the maximum I would try to run on the SO2. It is 65mm in diameter and 230mm long, weighing in at a hefty 2.4kg and has a 17.5mm collar at the bottom of 50mm diameter which should be handy for a dust shoe mounting bracket.

My first test, having read about these things, was to see if there is any earth continuity between the connector (supplied with no cable) and the housing of the spindle. As I expected, thers isn't, so I will have to earth the body of the spindle separately.

The inverter is a Huanyang model of unknown pedigree rated as 220v 1.5KW, but it should get me up and running! Unusually it actually came with a manual (in English) with a whole 67 pages. Time will tell how useful it actually is.
The spindle came with a note that it should not be run at less than 100Hz, which I had also read about, since the internal fan doesn't work properly at less than that value. This means that the effective bottom end speed is about 6-8000 rpm.

Also supplied were a connector matching the spindle and three collets for the ER11 collet chuck on it's business end. These are 1/8", 4mm and 6mm. I will check the run-outs and may put them on my long list of things to upgrade if they warrant it.
Looking at the collet chuck, it is full of the standard Chinese shipping crud and needs a good clean before I do anything with it, but again, that is expected.

That's about all I can say about it for now, I have to go and get me some cables before I can start experimenting with the inverter. I will keep you informed.

Here is the beast, freshly unboxed:
800wSpindle.jpg
800w AC Spindle
800wSpindle.jpg (213.03 KiB) Viewed 4910 times
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

edwardrford

Re: 800w Chinese spindle

Post by edwardrford » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:43 pm

RobCee - Any update on this? Have a picture of it mounted?

Mind posting a link to the ebay vendor you used?

-Edward
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:06 pm

Edward-

I am in the final stages of the rebuild that the weight of this little puppy required!

I should have it all sorted next week and will certainly post the details once I get it complete (is it ever complete?).

The eBay vendor was this fella mainly because it was shipping from local, rather than international.
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

jefersonbmx

Post by jefersonbmx » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:59 pm

What could you say about the noise, at the low and high speed?

It's less then a Dremel 4000 or similar rotary tool?

I do have this Dremel, and a Makita 3709 Trimmer. Both it's too loud for my project.

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:32 pm

I have (so far) only used this for a few cutting jobs. Life is getting in the way of fun again...

The noise is much lower than the Dremel and my trim router. It is a different sort of noise and the Inverter has a fan on it which is quite noisy.
When running, I can still hear my normal volume radio over the noise of the cutting while wearing hearing protection, but that is almost drowned out completely when I turn on the vacuum, which is still the noisiest part of the system.
From an accuracy perspective, it is a significant upgrade to the Dremel - cuts are crisp and tight, rather than a bit 'loose' from the Dremel.

Once I get back onto it, my next jobs are to mill mounting brackets from Aluminium and sort out my Z-Axis better. After all that I will be back in action properly and will give the spindle a good run through.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:10 pm

RobCee

Is it air cooled or water cooled?

I think most of those are water cooled, so I'll preemptively ask the question: what sort of cooling are you using, how did you do the routing for the tubes, and what sort of pump did you chose?

-Edward
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:04 pm

Just because you assumed it, mine is Air Cooled - I didn't want to have to go to all the trouble of the water complexity. It's bigger, but less to go wrong.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:08 pm

Being air cooled is actually quite a draw for me! I usedBart's RC spindle for a little while, and dealing with the water cooling was not convenient at all!

I think the time has come for me to pull the trigger on this one.

Or.. maybe i'll wait to see how it works out for you first ;-)

-Edward
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

forgottenCNC

Post by forgottenCNC » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:31 am

One of the pluses I've notice about using a air cold spindle for me is the fact that air is drawn in at the top and out the bottom of the spindle, as I don't use a vacuum when cutting the air from the spindle blows debris away from the cutting area. (see attached videos)

Note: the phones Automatic Gain Control makes it sound louder...

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:49 am

Interesting. I actually went to some effort to avoid having the air from my router blow into my dust shoe ( http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... 824#p18386 ) --- should I not have been concerned?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)