The guts of a 300w eBay spindle.

will1384

The guts of a 300w eBay spindle.

Post by will1384 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:39 pm

I had ordered a 300w spindle from eBay for another project, and the spindle was very hard to turn by hand, I had contacted the eBay seller and they wanted me to power up the spindle as a test, the spindle only worked for a few seconds before my motor controller started to smoke, and the spindle turned very slowly and made a high pitch squeal, the eBay seller sent me a replacement spindle, the replacement spindle turns easy, and works with the replacement motor controller I had to buy.

I was told to keep the bad spindle, so I decided to open the bad spindle up to see what was wrong.

The bad spindle before I disassembled it.

The bad spindle was so hard to turn I could just twist off the plastic fan.

I removed the two long screws that were under the fan.

I removed the bottom cap.

The carbon motor brushes.

Yep thats a 608Z bearing, this spindle has them at both ends.

The motor's guts.

The motor was bad because they had pressed on the chuck to the point that it was touching the spindle motor's cap, thats what was keeping it from moving.

I removed the fan and bottom cap, then the nut and collet from the top, and set the motor on wood blocks careful not to touch any parts of the inner workings of the motor with the wood blocks, then used a metal bar, that was smaller than the motor shaft, that also had a flat end, and a hammer to softly tap the motor shaft, until the shaft turned freely, and now the motor works.