Quiet Cut Spindle take apart and review

Quiet Cut Spindle take apart and review

Postby DeeDeeDesign » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:50 pm

Hey all,
I've purchased and 'consumed' two quiet cut spindles and decided to do a mini review showing several design defects that I think could be fixed and still have a spindle that costs about $80. Here's a video I took (and then added several clarifications to):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7P5THNN ... e=youtu.be

Full disclosure:
I work in the hobbyist CNC industry and the Quiet Cut Spindle is an indirect competitor because it is used on competing mini-CNC platforms. We were going to use this spindle on a CNC machine we sell, but decided not to due to the analysis I present in this video.

I've tried to add useful engineering feedback in hopes that the spindle can be made better for future DIYers.
DeeDeeDesign

Re: Quiet Cut Spindle take apart and review

Postby dave_the_nerd » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:15 am

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Shapeoko 2 # 6651: 500x1000mm, Acme screw and belt drive Z-axis, DW660 w/ IC mount, Arduino/grblShield w/ gCode 0.9g and 3D-printed electronics enclosure.
dave_the_nerd

Postby systemdm » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:26 pm

DeeDeeDesign,

Would you have one that you recommend?

Thanks,
DR
systemdm

Postby ThatOtherGuy435 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:20 pm

Alternatively to a recommendation on alternative, is there a way to modify these to not suck?

It seems like there are 2 extremes in the hobbyist spindle market: This junk, and the super-accurate low power PCB spindles.

~Edit~
There seems to be at least one guy who has gotten the chuck off the shaft on these cheap motors: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4289

Possible, then, to at least replace the 608Z bearings with angular contacts bearings? Understanding that there will still be slush from the questionable ptfe 'squish' washer.
ShapeOko1 #??? - 1000mm Dual-drive Y, Double X, S2 gantry motor plates, ACME Z-Axis.
ThatOtherGuy435

Postby paulctan » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:10 pm

Great review. Thanks for taking the time to do a teardown.

In all fairness to your runout measurements, the Shapeoko 2 itself is not that rigid anyways (just try flexing the Z-axis -- I can get a movement of 0.125" easily with very little force). I think that by trying to cut aluminum with a depth of cut that you would normally use on a Tormach or a Bridgeport would wreck the spindle as you have found out and pointed out.

However, if you treat it as a high RPM machine instead of a high Torque stiff CNC mill, I think the spindle would actually last quite a bit longer. Also, as you have pointed out, the spindle itself is really cheap at $35 USD. I personally bought another one off of Aliexpress.com as a spare.
Paul Tan
Exadler Technologies Inc.
http://www.exadler.com
paulctan

Postby Glenncd » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:02 pm

I was thinking on getting the Shapeoko 2/3 are V-Carve but after reading about the spindle and seeing what and how there are made, I am not sure now.
the spindle is one of the main parts to a good running cnc. Both Shapenoko and V-Carves both still offer this item for sale at the inflated price. Why?
Sorry I was never fond of bearing with snap on plastic wheels and aluminum rails. Trouble down the road.
Make a Good quaiity machine and people will beat your door down. Quality effects the price. So does having to rebuild.
Glenncd

Postby WillAdams » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:43 pm

If you can find / make / create a linear rail system which is as good as an aluminum extrusion, Delrin V-wheels and eccentric spacers / nuts, people want to hear / know about it. Thus far, nothing has come along at a better point in terms of price, accuracy/precision and rigidity / durability.

It’s meaningless to say that it would be nice if there’d be a better solution — the problem is, as always, “Who bells the cat?” Either do research, fund research, or accept the status quo.

Why don’t you start by compiling a list of all available linear motion systems, their sources, history and price points? We could use that for the wiki.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Postby cvoinescu » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:34 pm

Glenncd wrote:I was thinking on getting the Shapeoko 2/3 are V-Carve but after reading about the spindle and seeing what and how there are made, I am not sure now.
the spindle is one of the main parts to a good running cnc. Both Shapenoko and V-Carves both still offer this item for sale at the inflated price. Why?

Shapeoko 2 can use a number of spindles. Shapeoko 3 is designed to be used with the DW611, not a DC spindle. As far as I'm aware, only Inventables (the makers of X-Carve) sell the DC spindle, so what is "this item" you're talking about?

Glenncd wrote:Sorry I was never fond of bearing with snap on plastic wheels and aluminum rails. Trouble down the road.

Then none of these machines are for you.

Glenncd wrote:Make a Good quaiity machine and people will beat your door down. Quality effects the price. So does having to rebuild.

People are, and have been, beating down the Shapeoko door. To the tune of about 8500 Shapeoko 1 and 2 machines sold, and I don't-know-how-many Shapeoko 3 yet.

Weclome to this forum, by the way, but please restrict yourself to Good quaiity posts. Generic platitudes do not effect us. :)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk
cvoinescu

Postby Glenncd » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:01 pm

Sorry I am sure that both of you have done your home work and this is the future.
Glenncd

Postby WillAdams » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:14 pm

FWIW, there's a list of spindle options here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Spindle_Options
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)
WillAdams

Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Next

Return to Mini Spindles - Purchased