MDF Burns and accuracy issues after moving to 600w spindle

cvoinescu

Re: MDF Burns and accuracy issues after moving to 600w spind

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:21 pm

RobCee wrote:This direction should be clockwise.
That's not very useful on its own. It's clockwise as you look from the top of the spindle, with the bit away from you, but counter-clockwise as you look into the business end with the bit facing you.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:32 pm

True, I thought that as I posted it...
Thank you for elaborating!
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

Harasi

Post by Harasi » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:52 pm

wow you guys made my day :D .. I checked the direction & it was rotating wrong way as you guys stated I reversed the polarity and tried a small cut & it was smooth no burns no struggle on the machine, I followed the wiring emailed to me by the Chinese supplier (which was wrong) & I knew nothing about the spinning direction ... thanks all for your comments and suggestions .. problem fixed
Shapeoko 2 full kit # unknown .. Makita compact router .. ACME Z axis upgrade kit

aarvidsson

Post by aarvidsson » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:41 pm

Welcome to the funny world of having run your spindle backwards :P Does take a while to figure out, but when one does it's a big "D'uh" moment :D
ShapeOko 2 #4143

Harasi

Post by Harasi » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:22 am

aarvidsson wrote:Welcome to the funny world of having run your spindle backwards :P Does take a while to figure out, but when one does it's a big "D'uh" moment :D
haha totally agree .. it's funny that whatever problem happens one should know that he is not the first and not last one & this is where the joy of having forums come.
Shapeoko 2 full kit # unknown .. Makita compact router .. ACME Z axis upgrade kit

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:32 am

I added a brief note on this on the wiki --- suggestions for expanding it?
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

Harasi

Post by Harasi » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:21 am

WillAdams wrote:I added a brief note on this on the wiki --- suggestions for expanding it?
Great I think it's enough somebody might need it one day.

Harasi

Post by Harasi » Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:34 pm

Just wanted to make a small update for people willing to buy a similar Chinese spindle .. After fixing the wiring I was trying the spindle for a real job which takes around 45 minutes to cut. Room temperature was around 25degC & Spindle was running smoothly at the beginning but it was getting more & more hot every few minutes so close to the end of the job it was very hot not touchable even for a second & it stopped working suddenly and never work again & even if I try to rotate it by hand it feels very stiff to rotate.

Anyway I found the Makita RT0700C in stock in local shop & I didn't regret buying it I wish I went with it from the beginning.

ootwninja

Post by ootwninja » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:58 am

Sounds like you damaged the spindle during a crash. Most likely, the spindle is pushed up against the bearings. Take it off the machine, remove the fan from the top, flip it over and whack it on the table (yes, this is a precision adjustment). Reinstall and you're good to go. Ask me how I know these things...

Harasi

Post by Harasi » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:16 pm

ootwninja wrote:Sounds like you damaged the spindle during a crash. Most likely, the spindle is pushed up against the bearings. Take it off the machine, remove the fan from the top, flip it over and whack it on the table (yes, this is a precision adjustment). Reinstall and you're good to go. Ask me how I know these things...
Am pretty sure it didn't hit anything as I was around watching it cut my parts just like watching a movie :D .. Looks like something got burned inside due to the extremely hot it got as it was smelling like electric burns .. I will try opening it up & check it out, thanks for sharing your experience