400 watt brushless spindle and controller

kolovic

Re: 400 watt brushless spindle and controller

Post by kolovic » Sun May 10, 2015 7:32 am

Great, you get working spindle :).
How you start and stop spindle? Connecting main power to start motor or EN to GND to start motor. I have a new blue driver, but I have not tested.
Can anyone tell me how to properly start and stop the motor?
Is it EN to GND?
My first driver was burned because I break DIR - GND when motor is spinning. In schematic is there switch. Now I'm afraid that does not burn and new drivers if breaks EN - from GND when motor spinning.

Bjrn561

Post by Bjrn561 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:12 pm

I haven't started the spindle by software yet (excuse my english is "by" correct or would it be "with" please correct my english!)
I will try that out, but I think it mustbe the EN, cause EN means enable.

All connections I've left is "EN", "PWM" and "F/R". So this must be "enable", "Pulse-width-modulation" and "forward-reverse". I will check that tomorrow and post and answer.

Kind regards,
bjoern

Bjrn561

Post by Bjrn561 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:24 pm

OK, this was quite a fast check. Yes, you can enable the spindle by applying 5V to EN. If it's 0V the spindle is disabled.
In my case the spindle gets enabled by applying 3V.

So, you can use the potentiometer to adjust the speed and then use the EN pin to enable the spindle.

This offers new usage of control:-)

Thanks for your hint.

JRDM

Post by JRDM » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:21 am

Has anyone here managed to get PWM to work on this driver? How well does it work for you? I'm thinking about buying this driver.

roamin

Post by roamin » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:48 pm

hello there, i am currently running a 400w brushed motor and if it has any form of load on it when cutting it makes a horrible noise. i was wandering what peoples thoughts are on these brushless spindles. anyone have one running in there machine? how is it? does it cut well? most of my work will be on mdf and ply and want a better spindle.

money isnt really an issue for me but noise is, i like the 400w spindle as its quiet. if anyone has info on these or a video they can post showing this spindle in action would be great. if anyone has a different spindle they can recommend as well that too would be great.

thank you
ricky

Jimf

Post by Jimf » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:28 am

I have a pretty quiet water cooled spindle on my big CNC. The majority of the noise is caused by the endmill cutting the material. Depending on how fast I cut, it can be just as loud as my Porter cable 690 router. At full 3/4" depth cuts going 100+ipm, I have to wear heavy duty ear protection!!!! It screams....

I also do a lot of light engraving, this is where the spindle just hums along quietly. My stepper motors probably makes more noise.

No matter how quiet the 400watt brushless is. The end mill cutting noise would more likely to be much louder.

bbutcher85

Post by bbutcher85 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:48 pm

The manual does have an error with two wires on the Hall effect sensor reversed, but not the wires indicated. The motor will run with the correction shown swapping the HA & HB connections, but not correctly. If the motor is reversed, it will not run smoothly. Instead the error is that HA & HC are reversed. Connected this way the motor runs very smoothly in both directions and will reverse instantly, as long as it is not driving anything with a large mass.
This makes more sense since the original drawing shows HU, HV, and HW connected to HC, HB, and HA respectively, which seems wrong since one is alphabetically up and the other down.
I do not read Chinese either, but fortunately if you Google "English to Chinese" you will find a translator that when you type Red will show the Chinese character for red, etc. If you happen to have a document in Chinese that you can copy and paste characters from, you can copy the Chinese character and paste it into the Chinese side of the translator and it will show the English word.
Here is the corrected image from the document showing wire colors.

Bob
DC Brushless motor_driver error fix.jpg
DC Brushless motor_driver error fix.jpg (76.18 KiB) Viewed 3082 times

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:41 pm

That makes a lot of sense.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

hugov

Post by hugov » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:55 pm

Is there a consensus on which controller (blue or black) is better yet? Has anyone had both running?