400 watt brushless spindle and controller

sdumond

Re: 400 watt brushless spindle and controller

Post by sdumond » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:49 am

Well, I tried it once again to no avail. I guess I just got a bad one. I ordered another one and will see what it does. Has anyone actually cut anything with one of these? Do they work well and how are they for power and noise? Would like to know. Thanks

ThatOtherGuy435

Post by ThatOtherGuy435 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:33 pm

For what it's worth, one I grounded out EN, mine started working. I didn't have a lot of time to look at it, so I didn't check direction.

UVW, H+ H- HU HV HW, En->GND was all it took.

I think, however, that I'm suspicious enough of the longer term reliability that I'm going to design a basic, high wattage sensored brushless controller - hopefully with PID control - for the ShapeOko community.
ShapeOko1 #??? - 1000mm Dual-drive Y, Double X, S2 gantry motor plates, ACME Z-Axis.

sdumond

Post by sdumond » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:49 am

I am a little nervous about getting another one, but I got a replacement for this one. The instructions are very vag. I see from the schematic it shows the en going to ground, but why can it not just say so? Someone here said there owners manual had a note to ground the en and if it was going the wrong way to ground the dir terminal. I looked my manual over good and there is no note!! I really like the qualities of the brushless and am hoping I am not making a big mistake again.

sdumond

Post by sdumond » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:02 am

Does anybody know how to hook up tinyg pwm to this controller?

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:00 pm

To be honest with you, that's how EN works on pretty much all controllers. You're supposed to buy these to integrate into a larger system, and if you're doing that, you already know about EN and DIR... I would not hold it against them for not mentioning it in the manual.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

ThatOtherGuy435

Post by ThatOtherGuy435 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:59 pm

What I assume is the 'earlier' revision of this controller, with the black case, actually wanted En floating in order to enable. Take that for what it is worth, but the documentation and assumptions on these are wonky.

That being said, the manual for the blue 'DDBLDV1.0' version pretty clearly states En to Gnd.
ShapeOko1 #??? - 1000mm Dual-drive Y, Double X, S2 gantry motor plates, ACME Z-Axis.

sdumond

Post by sdumond » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:58 pm

If en to ground works the speed controller internally, I won't even worry about hooking up the PWM on the tinyg. I know the schematics clearly show grounding the en, but it shows that on all the options and i kinda wonder why they didn't do that internal to avoid confusion. The manual says that this controller was designed for small and medium CNC's. I hooked a loop on the en to ground terminal and the spindle would spin about 100 RPM's and then quit and then start again continually. I checked the voltage first thing and we are getting 48.5 volts to the controller. I sent it back and ordered another just like this and I'll see what it does.

Does anybody out there have one of these spindle's and controllers? I would like to know if they like it.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:16 pm

They did not wire EN internally, because if they did, the controller would not have had a way to turn off the spindle when not in PWM mode. And even with PWM, some controllers have separate 'Enable', 'Direction' and 'Speed' (PWM) outputs, so you really need all three inputs on the motor driver. You can also use the EN input for the emergency stop button, or for a safety interlock, for instance to ensure the spindle does not start when you have the alligator clip of a touch probe still on the endmill (ouch). My point is, it may not seem useful to you in your configuration, but it is.

According to the manual, the PWM input is VE (and use the switch settings printed on the case), so you can just wire TinyG GND to driver GND and the TinyG PWM output to driver VE. Do not forget to wire GND between the TinyG and the driver, or you may fry both of them.

I have a different controller, but the principle is the same. It works perfectly.

sdumond

Post by sdumond » Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:00 pm

So if I can, let me ask you guys, if I was to hook up the pwm from tinyg what terminal would I use on the brushless controller to tinyg pwm terminal. Obviously I would hook up the ground from tinyg to ground on controller. Also from tinyg pwm to what terminal on the brushless controller? That is after I make a jumper fom the en terminal to the ground terminal on the brushless controller. One of the guys here said on this post said he grounded the en terminal and the spindle was turning counter clockwise and had to ground the dir and the en terminal. He said his manual had a note about it, which mine doesn't.

I am getting a replacement Monday and don't want to get it hooked up wrong. Thanks again for your help.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:46 pm

cvoinescu wrote:you can just wire TinyG GND to driver GND and the TinyG PWM output to driver VE.