400 watt brushless spindle and controller

sdumond

Re: 400 watt brushless spindle and controller

Post by sdumond » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:41 am

Well I got my new brushless spindle like the last, and sure enough it does the same thing. It will run at low speed sporadically for a couple of seconds and quit. Then start up for a couple more seconds and quit again. If I wiggle the connector a little it will flash the lights on the side. I triple checked the wiring to make sure it was right. I tinned the wires and made sure the connections were good. I checked the voltage and its right on 48 volts as it should be. If anyone is looking to buy this brushless spindle with blue colored controller, I advise not to.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:20 pm

It has nothing to do with your problem, but do not tin wires that go into screw terminals. The tin cold-flows over the course of months (or weeks, depending on temperature), leading to a bad contact. Bare copper is fine (twist the strands together); a ferrule is ideal. Copper strands that are individually tin plated when the wire is manufactured are also fine.

I have one more thing to suggest. Leave the thick wires connected as they are, and make all six possible permutations of the three sensor wires (not red and black, those are the + and - supply for the sensors, so don't move those). In my experience, wiring them incorrectly causes exactly the symptom you're describing.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

kietcallies

Post by kietcallies » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:00 pm

I believe I bought the same 400w Brushless Spindle with 750w Motor Driver from eBay and am experiencing the same issues described above: the spindle pulsating on and off at low RPM. If I move the knob all the way to the left, I can completely stop the pulsating and move the knob all the way to the right really does nothing to change the speed or pattern of the pulsating. I wired the motor according to the manual attached to this topic. I am unable to get the Error LED (red) to turn off.

I included a photo of my wiring.

ThatOtherGuy435

Post by ThatOtherGuy435 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:32 pm

One clarification on the PWR/WAR LEDs:

PWR is RED when receiving power
WAR is GRN when error or sometimes when at 0.

It confused the hell out of me until I figured out the PWR/WAR RED/GREN is vertical.

Pulsing in a sensored brushless motor is usually the hall sensors being connected out of phase. In my experience, it will either completely fail to move and immediately light WAR/GREN, pulse, or run correctly.
ShapeOko1 #??? - 1000mm Dual-drive Y, Double X, S2 gantry motor plates, ACME Z-Axis.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:59 pm

ThatOtherGuy435 wrote:Pulsing in a sensored brushless motor is usually the hall sensors being connected out of phase. In my experience, it will either completely fail to move and immediately light WAR/GREN, pulse, or run correctly.
So, take the HW, HV, HU wires and try all six combinations:
  1. blue-green-white;
  2. blue-white-green;
  3. white-blue-green;
  4. white-green-blue;
  5. green-white-blue;
  6. green-blue-white.

kietcallies

Post by kietcallies » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:43 pm

OK I started swapping wires. My gut told me that the blue was in the right position. Though I cannot read Chinese, the character matched the character used for the thicker blue wire at the V terminal. I swapped the green and white wires, originally connected to HV and HU respectively, to green -> HU and white -> HV. The manual attached to this topic is showing the wrong wiring. I have included a photo of the wiring that worked for me for future reference.

For easy searching, the driver is a BL Moto Driver DDBLDV1.0 and the 400w brushless motor is a WS55-180.

Thanks for your assistance.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:26 am

For what it's worth, the label on the spindle says U = red, V = blue, W = black, 5V = red, HA = blue, HB = green, HC = white, GND = black. So I guess the label is wrong too, or maybe they made a mistake when they built your spindle.

Does it work now?

kietcallies

Post by kietcallies » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:45 am

Yes, it does. Thanks again for your help.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:06 am

No problem. Glad it works.

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:50 am

So now that it works, how well does it work? :D
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.