Thinking of these. Any thoughts?

PaulKruger

Re: Thinking of these. Any thoughts?

Post by PaulKruger » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:22 pm

Found out: The bearings of this product is 608ZZ

http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/B ... /608ZZ10-1

But was also told they use angular contact bearing. So still not certain.

I ordered the combo spindle with variable speed control power supply. Will update when it arrives.
Old fart with more ideas than are useful. CNC Newbie, be gentle.

* Shapeoko 2
* PrintrBot
* Aprox 2.38 tons of tools
* Sears Tractor being modified as a woods buggy
* Bunch of lasers
-------------------------------------
http://www.paulckruger.com

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:56 pm

608 is a single-row, deep-groove bearing ("6"), of medium weight ("0"), with an ID of 8 mm ("8"). Because it is widely used, including in many Walmart-quality products (cheap skateboards and rollerblades), it is available in a staggering range of quality, from so bad it barely turns but the balls fall out if you look at it wrong, to so good you'd think it was a dual-row angular-contact bearing. It's still the wrong bearing for a top-quality spindle, but it's acceptable as long as it's a decent quality bearing, not one of the crappier ones. It's also very cheap to replace, and good quality ones are easy to get (608 is by far the most popular size in skateboards, and some skateboarders are fond of using over-specified bearings, in the same way as some audiophiles think $50 gold-plated TOSLINK connectors sound better -- so many retailers are happy to oblige).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

PaulKruger

Post by PaulKruger » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:07 pm

In a way that is still good news because if the size of the bearing is that standard, replacing it with a top quality version would be easier than if it were something more rare. 8-)

Since I would wager that all of those Chinese spindles come from the same factory they probably all use the same bearings as well...probably including the motor sold by Inventables. In the case of that motor I would have felt better about buying theirs if they had actually taken one apart and provide detailed information about it's construction, bearings etc. I don't think it is any different than those on Amazon, just a few dollars more expensive and probably in US stock so a replacement, if needed, would be much faster to obtain.

* Shapeoko 2
* PrintrBot
* Bunch of lasers

daschick

[Found a spindle] Re: Thinking of these. Any thoughts?

Post by daschick » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:21 am

Greetings All,

Found a Senco cut out tool (SS-14v) and pulled it apart to find a spindle in it. I am wondering if anyone else has scavenged a spindle like this and what their experience was. I am still wiring up my Shapeoko2 and have a number of small DC power supplies around.

The spindle has a Japanese made bering on the front and what look like a kanji symbol of some sort on the bottom housing (very small). It seems well made and sturdy. I was thinking of getting the speed controller alone and just trying it out. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,
david
IMG_7129.jpg
IMG_7129.jpg (155.53 KiB) Viewed 9647 times
IMG_7129.jpg
IMG_7129.jpg (155.53 KiB) Viewed 9647 times
Attachments
IMG_7132.jpg
IMG_7132.jpg (181.17 KiB) Viewed 9647 times

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:30 am

I've long thought that disassembling an existing tool and placing it in a housing w/better bearing support would be be a useful alternative --- looking forward to hearing how it works out.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

PaulKruger

Post by PaulKruger » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:36 pm

I bought the Spindle / Power supply from Amazon and am quite pleased. As promised much quieter than Moto Tool or router.

The upside of this product is that the power supply has the speed control built in so you don't need a separate controller. There is a pot on a flying lead that plugs into the power supply.

I scrapped an old Apple G5 for the robust case. Lots of interior room. I am working on mounting everything including a vacuum pump in this case and placing all the controls etc. on the face. Why vacuum pump you say? I plan to make a vacuum table to hold PC boards in place.

Case will have power and connections for both spindle motor and laser head.

Here are a few images.

Plan to work on this over the weekend. All parts now in hand. Will post final working controls when done. :D

FYI before you ask. Yes the G5 was working. I would offer to sell the parts such as Mother Board, power supply etc. think I will keep the way-cool radiator to make a Peltier heat pump for my dog house. *S*
Attachments
Front-Face.png
Front Face
Front-Face.png (33.66 KiB) Viewed 9604 times
diagram.png
Schematic
diagram.png (100.8 KiB) Viewed 9604 times
Mockup.jpg
Digital Mockup
Mockup.jpg (187.24 KiB) Viewed 9604 times

* Shapeoko 2
* PrintrBot
* Bunch of lasers

PaulKruger

Back of box

Post by PaulKruger » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:37 pm

Here is mockup of the rear panel. Could only post three images per post.
Attachments
back-vert.png
Rear panel mockup
back-vert.png (31.73 KiB) Viewed 9604 times

* Shapeoko 2
* PrintrBot
* Bunch of lasers

AnnaLudvigovna

Thinking of these Any thoughts

Post by AnnaLudvigovna » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:06 pm

Dear Peter,

Much as I had thought, thanks. There are so many fakes on this type of Dutch spoon, its hard to have any confidence in any of them.

Regards,

Silverk.