Proxxon IB/E

willo

Proxxon IB/E

Post by willo » Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:19 pm

These things deserve their own topic.

Dremel (and most generics) use bushings and have pretty dissapointing runout see http://www.precisebits.com/tutorials/spindle_runout.htm for a nice description of measuring it.

The proxxon IB/E is usually around $120+ and is simply the best deal for a high speed spindle I've found. It's capable of 20k rpm. 30k is better for some tasks but 20k is generally sufficient for milling things like pc boards, etc.

What I really like is the mounting. The proxxon has a cast (probably aluminum) neck that provides a rock solid foundation for mounting the spindle. Add to that a nice selection of collets (not just 1/8 like others) and you've got a great variable speed spindle for a very good price.

Edit: I didn't see the other category where there is some discussion of this tool, but It's got several references here, so it's worth leaving.

nio

Re: Proxxon IB/E

Post by nio » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:26 pm

i've got one, i'm quite happy, i haven't cut a lot, but it's the best that i've used (other proxxon (all plastic), and a dremel)... for me it's a very very good purchase.

gazorp

Post by gazorp » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:22 am

I have one too. Very nice indeed. I think this thread should be in rotary tools, not mini spindles though.

edwardrford

Post by edwardrford » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:06 pm

the thread's been moved.
Shapeoko 1 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 2 #0 - a couple of upgrades.
Shapeoko 3 #2 - Stock

unterhausen

Post by unterhausen » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:01 pm

the last Dremel I took apart had ball bearings, have they changed that? There was a time when they went from 4 bearings to 3, and those Dremels were horrible, but I thought they had gone back.

Max Metz

Post by Max Metz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:41 pm

I think the problem with Dremel tools and the poor run out they have is due to the way the last bearing is housed, rather than fitting accurately in the end of the housing they use a flexible method to hold the bearing (possibly to reduce vibration). As time passes the flexible bearing retainer gets even sloppier and so the run out increases. I have read that before the shaft gets to that last bearing Dremel tools are very accurate.

Aaron Seltzer

Post by Aaron Seltzer » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:37 pm

I had been very happy with my Proxxon. It was very quiet, and seemed to have enough power for what I have been cutting.

Yesterday I tried aluminum sheet metal (helping out a HS robotics club) and it cut fine all day. This morning, it does not run, but sputters and caught and then stops. Dead.

I think all day of cutting alluminum (very shallow slow passes) was too much for the tool.

I am replacing it with the Dewalt 660.

madmike88

Post by madmike88 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:31 am

So, how long did it last? Do you think that the Dewalt would have stood up better?

Thanks

Mike

DanMc

Post by DanMc » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:50 pm

I'm curious too how long it lasted. It might be worth a call or an email to Proxxon. They are supposed to have a 2 year warranty and are described as being able to run for "extended periods"

roberlin

Post by roberlin » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:32 pm

My Proxxon did the same thing a month or two ago. Couldn't have been more than about 5 hours of cutting aluminum (also at very shallow passes). Probably about 30 minutes at a time?
I haven't gotten around to trying to get it warrantied yet. Replaced it with a Dewalt which is holding up much better.