Running long jobs using default shapeoko rotary tool

oskanaan

Running long jobs using default shapeoko rotary tool

Post by oskanaan » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:58 pm

Hi ,

I was testing out my Shapeoko last week, one of the tests I did was carving a 3d model. The process took around 2.5 hours of work to be done, would the default tool included in the full kit handle such long jobs?

I purchased 1/8" with 1/4" head (straight/round/ and v bits ) from mlcs (http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite ... its_anchor). I am using them with the default rotary tool included, wood this tool be able to handle those ones? My settings are as follows:
pass depth: 0.05 inch
feed rate: 30 inch/min

Thanks

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Running long jobs using default shapeoko rotary tool

Post by WillAdams » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:08 pm

Yes, it'll handle such jobs until it dies.

The problem is that will necessarily be during a job.

Don't risk it w/ expensive material.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

twforeman

Post by twforeman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:54 pm

I also seem to recall that people have had issues with the collet loosening during long jobs which causes the tool to get pulled out into the workpiece.
Ender 3 3D Printer
ShapeOko v3 serial #0004 - upgrade thread
All of my ShapeOko related blog posts

fl0yd

Post by fl0yd » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:28 pm

twforeman wrote:I also seem to recall that people have had issues with the collet loosening during long jobs which causes the tool to get pulled out into the workpiece.
I can personally attest to this, even on some short jobs. I tried 3 different collets and cranked them down as hard as I could. The only way I could combat it was to use painfully slow feed rates or to add tape to the shank to get better grip. The tape option is a safety hazard, so I only did it for confirmation of the collet slipping.

I tried switching to a Bosch Colt but quickly abandoned it for several reasons:
  • The deflection on the Z axis was too much for my liking due to the increased weight of the spindle, the need to move the spindle mount to the bottom set of holes, and shifting the bottom set of V-wheels up to the middle grouping of holes due to the mount's position
  • The Precise Bits collets are hit or miss because of bad QC on Bosch's end
  • It was as noisy as the default spindle
  • The mess made from the downward air vent coated my work area in dust, despite of my best attempts to keep on it with a vacuum and dust separator
I've since switched to a Chinese made quiet cut from ebay and couldn't be happier, though it is considerably more expensive than the trim router options.

Fl0yd

oskanaan

Post by oskanaan » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:16 pm

twforeman wrote:I also seem to recall that people have had issues with the collet loosening during long jobs which causes the tool to get pulled out into the workpiece.
Yep, had that one yesterday doing a 15 minute job. What would be a suitable feed rate for this? I've changed the settings to have less pass depth (0.04 inch) and feed rate of 30 inch per minute and used a brand new bit to be able to complete it. Should I lower the feed rate to be less? maybe something like 20 inch per minute? I've ordered some 3.2mm straight and round bits from ebay but they wont arrive soon so I have to work with the ones I have :(.
fl0yd wrote:The only way I could combat it was to use painfully slow feed rates or to add tape to the shank to get better grip. The tape option is a safety hazard, so I only did it for confirmation of the collet slipping.
Why is the tape a safety hazard? it sounded like a good idea.

I don't seem to have issues using small bits. I've used a dremel 3.2 diameter with 2.4mm ball for a 2 hours job yesterday. Unfortunately I couldnt find one with 3.2 mm carving diameter at my local store.