Vinyl Cutting Blade

ijsga

Re: Vinyl Cutting Blade

Post by ijsga » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:16 pm

That’s indeed important Will, good point. It also depends on the accuracy you’re going for, and the time you have available to perfect your own version of it. They’re also developing a creasing wheel modification, would make a great addition to the tool.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:37 pm

A free-swivelling one is hard to make, at least one that works well -- and a replacement drag knife and holder for a vinyl cutter is dirt cheap, if you don't mind it's not the original part.

However, you can machine or 3-D print an Xacto type blade holder that mounts on a stepper motor shaft, and process the G-code to add C axis movements to keep the knife tangent to the XY moves. To keep the math simple, it helps if the blade is dead center, with no offset. Ideally, there would be a spring-loaded presser foot too, much like that on a sewing machine, rotating along with the blade. The only "minor" impediments are the G-code processor to add the rotary moves (which is a small matter of programming), and having a controller with rotary axis support (of the microcontroller-based solutions, TinyG is the only one I'm aware of that has that, although using the extruder "axis" in Marlin etc. is probably fine too; on the PC, both LinuxCNC and Mach3 can do it).
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

billtrondsen

Post by billtrondsen » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:36 am

Hey Guys.
I have had luck modifying a standard Roland Blade Holder to work with CNC.
A couple of quick modifications allows it to be spring-loaded.
See the post: http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3667.0
Cheers - BillT

Nigel K Tolley

Post by Nigel K Tolley » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:56 pm

On my machine, a little vinyl cutter from Silloette, there are two sons for the cut depth. The first is a drag part attached to the knife, a small plastic screwed on part that limits the depth by a tenth of a mm, then a software setting for the pressure.

Not sure if offset is handled invisibly, of course, but it might be. It uses a tiny swiveling blade, as you would expect.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Shook

Post by Shook » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:10 am

Hate to necro this post, but I recently printed this - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1006663 and it seems to fit a Chinese Roland-style drag knife (http://vod.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrderDetai ... 2536551012) easily enough.

A few questions - has anyone tried something like this and can offer any advice? Speeds, feeds, post processing (Does the Donek stuff work for this?)

I'm working with Silhouette Vinyl (hoping to make some nerdy T-Shirts). The blade holder I'm using doesn't seem to be spring loaded, should I try to mount a small spring in there?
Shapeoko 3 (#1107)

halfnormal

Post by halfnormal » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:00 pm

@shook If you are a bit adventurous, here is a program that has the vinyl cutting built in. Best of all it is free!
https://github.com/openhardwarecoza/LaserWeb3
There is support for it too.

Shook

Post by Shook » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:19 pm

Thanks - I'll give it a shot!
Shapeoko 3 (#1107)

noahmcdonnell

Post by noahmcdonnell » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:37 am

Don't exactly understand the point of this.