Laser mod kit?

cvoinescu

Re: Laser mod kit?

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:07 am

Nigel K Tolley wrote:Edit to add: Has anyone made a Shapeoko kit into a (CO2) laser cutter yet?
I'm pretty sure the answer to that is no, but there's the MakerSlide-based Buildlog.net 2.x laser cutter. I'd build that, rather than convert a Shapeoko.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

Nigel K Tolley

Post by Nigel K Tolley » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:31 am

I have looked at the BuildLog laser, but it uses Unobtainium - Makerslide. While this stuff was everywhere a year ago, now it isn't available anywhere. Everywhere says Out of Stock, and the main site? http://store.makerslide.com/index.php?m ... aintenance - at least for me, and has been for a month at least.

Does anyone know of a UK stockist? One that has stock?
Apparently there is also OpenSlide, which is much the same thing. Does anyone have experience of that? Is there a UK stockist?

Also, the nice thing about having a kit to assemble is it takes a day or two, rather than the relentless months of "Damn, I need 3 more M3 screws!" that beset most projects for me. The thing is, I'm rich enough, just about, to buy a kit, but I have very little time to assemble it, let alone start doing yet another build of a variation on a theme. I'm not rich enough to have other people build it all, plus, where's the fun in that?

I'm saving for a Shapeoko 2 full kit, anyway. Once I've got one I'll see what I can fit to it.

Nigel K Tolley

Post by Nigel K Tolley » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:02 am

Hold on - I've just put 2 and 2 together. Sorry, cvoinescu! I've just read a load of your blog, and only after I started reading the comments did I spot the username, and then I came back here and read your signature (which you don't see on Tapatalk!)

I know what you are going through with the trials of finding a supplier who will take the work you want to give them. My parents company put £30K a month through one supplier, yet they were always bottom of the list for things being made, and quality was all too often terrible, and you always got agro when you took the bits back, as if it was somehow your fault that the black parts were in fact blue, and so useless.

I'll keep watching the forums until you have your supply line sorted, then I'll be buying a (full eShapeoko) kit off you. I'll likely buy the extra rail for the other machine too, at the same time, as I can use it for another one of these or one of the BuildLog lasers, depending what I find. (Not least because we have a member who already bought a laser tube, which needs a chassis!)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:20 am

Bart's store (makerslide.com) is closed for good, or at least while he works at Inventables. Inventables are the "official" supplier, and they have MakerSlide in stock -- but they're in the US.

The only thing I can find about OpenSlide is a C library for image processing. Did you mean OpenRail?

I'm trying to get an update from the current supplier -- they were supposed to have extruded the first batch last week (well, they were supposed to have extruded it weeks ago, but they took their time with the die).

Nigel K Tolley

Post by Nigel K Tolley » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:37 pm

I read that you don't have the old die any more. That's a lot of cost to lose for no reason.

You could get it back from the other company by simply sending them an invoice for the cost of the new one plus 10%, marked 'Sale or return'.

Odds are high they will post it back instead. At the least you will get a phone call.

Then you have a spare.

& yes, sorry, openrail.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:27 pm

Interesting strategy -- will cost nothing to try. I'll deal with returning the rejects first (they're still taking up space in my garage), then I'll try that.

Oh, and the new supplier confirmed that there is extruded metal skinny-dipping in sulfuric acid as I type this, and that they have a sample for me to check. I should have it tomorrow or the day after.

Nigel K Tolley

Post by Nigel K Tolley » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:24 pm

My dad supplied the steel frames to the factory for those parts I mentioned. They used far more than they should have, so he started charging them for the metal. He found they would then take far more care of the non free parts, & recycle them properly, once the boss realised it was costing them profit margin.

Likewise the tooling he supplied is worth thousands, so it all has a book value on both sides. They take better care of that too!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

krayvis

Post by krayvis » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:45 am

Anyone else take a look at MyDIYCNC's new laser mod kit?

http://www.mydiycnc.com/content/laser-head-kit

Thoughts?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:42 am

krayvis wrote:Anyone else take a look at MyDIYCNC's new laser mod kit?
No, but if it could cut decently thick leather, I'd be sleeping on the couch.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)