Plasma cutter mod

atrueresistance

Re: Plasma cutter mod

Post by atrueresistance » Tue May 05, 2015 7:24 pm

Hi, has anyone done this? I'm trying to sell my 1,000mm x 1,000mm SO1 to a guy who wants to do this with it. The problem is he doesn't understand what needs to be done. Also, I'm not accustomed to plasma cutters, as I've never used one.

The machine already is configured with M3/M5 on spindle with a 10A SSR Fotek for use with a dewalt 660. Can't the guy take that switch apart (on plasma head) and use the M3/M5? Guessing the switch would be DC and would require a DC-DC SSR.
Shapeoko 1 #unknown
Shapeoko 3 #572
Checkout my Etsy Store

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:38 pm

Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

awesomewheel

Post by awesomewheel » Wed May 31, 2017 5:31 pm

Brian wrote:Few things:
You don't need any kind of clamping for the material when cutting with the plasma as there are no lateral forces applied to the material.
Having a wooden table will spell bad news, itll just catch on fire (i know from experience) What you need is a fixture to hold metal slats vertically across the table to set the material on, a solid table will just get cut up like the cut material and youll have issue with the cut pieces welding themselves to the table if you just have a flat table. (http://linuxcnc.org/emc2/media/kunena/a ... sma-20.jpg)
Plasmas make A LOT of smoke and metal dust when they are cutting. I have to clean off my cnc gantry every month or so and flush the great on all the bear rails to prevent them from getting gummed up.
You don't need a lot of power on a plasma gantry as there are not forces applied to the cutting head, you just need to move it around the table.
Torch height is a big factor in good clean cutting. I personally use a touch and go torch head on my table that actually touches the torch to the table to ensure perfect head height when cutting. Another more expensive option is a torch height controller but they take a bit of work to get them running nicely. While you can cut without either of these i at least recommend a touch and go torch.

Lastly is the controller, plasmas shoot off a metric shit ton of interference when they are fired. If you are using anything short of a hypertherm or other high end CNC ready plasma torch you're going to have an issue with interference. What kind of a controller do you plan on using. The standard shapeoko uses the USB controller which is extremely susceptible to interference (USB) so you might have issues with that. I use mach 3 with a standard isolated breakout board that uses my desktops parallel port.

If you have any questions or need any advice feel free to PM me, I have personally built 2 large cnc plasma tables , one of which is used for production at a local company.

awesomewheel

Post by awesomewheel » Wed May 31, 2017 5:33 pm

awesomewheel wrote:
Brian wrote:Few things:
You don't need any kind of clamping for the material when cutting with the plasma as there are no lateral forces applied to the material.
Having a wooden table will spell bad news, itll just catch on fire (i know from experience) What you need is a fixture to hold metal slats vertically across the table to set the material on, a solid table will just get cut up like the cut material and youll have issue with the cut pieces welding themselves to the table if you just have a flat table. (http://linuxcnc.org/emc2/media/kunena/a ... sma-20.jpg)
Plasmas make A LOT of smoke and metal dust when they are cutting. I have to clean off my cnc gantry every month or so and flush the great on all the bear rails to prevent them from getting gummed up.
You don't need a lot of power on a plasma gantry as there are not forces applied to the cutting head, you just need to move it around the table.
Torch height is a big factor in good clean cutting. I personally use a touch and go torch head on my table that actually touches the torch to the table to ensure perfect head height when cutting. Another more expensive option is a torch height controller but they take a bit of work to get them running nicely. While you can cut without either of these i at least recommend a touch and go torch.

Lastly is the controller, plasmas shoot off a metric shit ton of interference when they are fired. If you are using anything short of a hypertherm or other high end CNC ready plasma torch you're going to have an issue with interference. What kind of a controller do you plan on using. The standard shapeoko uses the USB controller which is extremely susceptible to interference (USB) so you might have issues with that. I use mach 3 with a standard isolated breakout board that uses my desktops parallel port.

If you have any questions or need any advice feel free to PM me, I have personally built 2 large cnc plasma tables , one of which is used for production at a local company.
----------
I am thinking about buying the shapeoko 3 XXL model --- can i use a plasma cutter torch on this machine, what do i have to buy to make it works ---- if yes please send me details links where to buy the parts so it work with my plasma torch --- Thank You

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Wed May 31, 2017 7:56 pm

It's been done.

You would need a torch, a relay to activate it, a CAM setup which would activate it, and

(and this is the big part)

a setup which would protect the machine and its belts from the torch.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

awesomewheel

Post by awesomewheel » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:25 pm

WillAdams wrote:It's been done.

You would need a torch, a relay to activate it, a CAM setup which would activate it, and

(and this is the big part)

a setup which would protect the machine and its belts from the torch.
Hello and Thank you for all of this.
is there anyway you can help me --- we can live-chat so you can coach me what to do.

----------
I have a plasma cutter 60AMP ----------- where do get a relay switch ----------------- CAM setup ( where can i get it CAM already come with the Shapeoko 3 ---------- I am willing to pay for your help --- if you live no too far from LOS Angeles CA --- i do not mind to drive to see you in person so you can help me - Thank you

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:30 pm

What we have on this is on the wiki: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... sma_Cutter

Given the problems w/ EMI, I'm not sure it's feasible --- you would certainly need to add the electronics to the list of things which need protection, not just physical, but also EMI filtering.

Wiring in a relay should be the same as for a 110 relay for a router as noted on: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Spindle_Control

jacob32123

Post by jacob32123 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:29 am

WillAdams wrote:Wiring in a relay should be the same as for a 110 relay for a router as noted on: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Spindle_Control
Unlike with a router, you'll want to use the relay to replace the (low voltage) trigger switch on the plasma cutter, as opposed to switching the main power in to the unit (as one would with a router).