Vinyl Cutting Blade

cvoinescu

Re: Vinyl Cutting Blade

Post by cvoinescu » Wed May 01, 2013 1:10 pm

Yes, if the G-code has lead-ins, then the start of the cut becomes moot.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

jluther

Post by jluther » Sun May 05, 2013 3:29 pm

yea, my idea doesn't work for anything but G01. Also, it would offset to the tip, which isn't necessarily pointing in the correct direction. So the lead in would still exist. The problem with lead ins is if the lead in is on the inside or the outside of the geometry, there will be a little slit in the geometry somewhere... Which maybe we don't care, but my interest would be in making stencils and decals. stencil... eh who cares but a decal would peel at that cut.

What about your idea cvoinescu, searching the code for the first move after a drop in the Z height to the build level. Then do some math on that first move's angle, use a second tool offset to shift over to the side of the platform, and make a short move in that direction.
Then offset back to the part and start the next cut... Again, it would need a post processing algorithm, but the code could be generated to just move the blade into position somewhere else.

The other idea I just thought of is make a holder that has on offset adjust built in. Rather than the blade rotating in the holder, the blade would be fixed in the holder. Then the holder would fit into a larger cylinder with the offset of the blade that the holder fits into. This way the offset blade tip stays on center and a lead in could be used to maintain the cut lengths...

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sun May 05, 2013 10:23 pm

I thought of using a "scratch pad" area to get the blade turned in the direction I wanted it. It would be best to do that very close to the actual cut (to save traverse time), but that would be difficult without human assistance. If you had lots of closed cuts and the scratch pad was in one corner, it would kill the cutting speed (death of a thousand cuts).

The offset of the blade is intentional and necessary, because it's what turns the blade in the right direction. Without it, it would just plow sideways or backwards or whicheverways through the material.

What you can do, however, is mount the blade, ideally without an offset, on a rotary axis (C axis). The math is simpler, and you actively control the orientation of the blade, so there's no need for lead-ins. It's also more precise and allows thicker materials to be cut, can use larger X-Acto type blades, and there can be a spring-loaded presser foot, a little like the one on a sewing machine, to assist in holding down the material. The downside is the added complexity.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun May 05, 2013 10:55 pm

I used to use a Roland sign cutter, and I don't recall it being significant which way the cutter was oriented --- it did seem to overcut the corners slightly, except for the last one (handled in software?), but that was easily addressed w/ an X-Acto when weeding --- it did seem to have the point of the knife perfectly centered where it rotated and was spring-loaded w/ vertical adjustment.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue May 07, 2013 12:27 am

Will, I have a knock-off Roland holder and blade, and the blade tip has a tiny, barely noticeable offset. The spec says the offset should be 0.25mm for Roland, which seems about right.

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Tue May 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Hmm, I don't remember such an offset, but it's been almost 2 decades since I had the plotter.

Perhaps this will help?

part of grecode ( http://code.google.com/p/grecode/ ):

-knive <delay mm>
This should compensate partially for foil cutters, where the cutting point is lagging. The lagging distance should be specified in mm. Arc movements could be problematic currently. The implementation is not very good.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets

T3PRanch

Post by T3PRanch » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:50 pm

Just found this that might be of interest. High Price but very adaptable.

http://donektools.com/

Thurmond

ijsga

Post by ijsga » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:22 pm

Hey all,

First post here, I’m currently awaiting the delivery of my super-sized eShapeOko. The Donektools Drag Knife seems like a very good alternative to a tangential cutting module to cut thicker material (those units cost about € 1300,– here in Europe). That is; if you get the software part right. There’s some good examples on how to do that in some of the videos on the Donektools website. They show how to do this using Sheetcam and Vectric software. Think I’m going to order this Donketools Drag Knife when I have my eShapeOko built! Should be somewhere this summer :)

Best regards,
Thijs

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:47 pm

It seems to me that this would not be too hard to make. Even 3d printed and use common razor blades. All you really need to know is the offset and the software.
#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

WillAdams

Post by WillAdams » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:41 pm

It also has to swivel freely and be perfectly perpendicular and not impart any tendency to the blade to travel in other than a straight line.