Another Laser Diode Engraving Thread

Post Reply
picengravertoo
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:23 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Another Laser Diode Engraving Thread

Post by picengravertoo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:51 pm

Very impressive results with J-Tech's laser system on our Shapeoko 2.

Here is the settings we used in PicEngrave Pro 5. Notice in the "Engraving Options" the "Use Feed Rate Change". This adds enhancements to your photo engraving by adding a settable variable feedrate to each line of gcode based on the laser's power commands to expand the shades. Our unique feature gives you a way to fine tune your photo engraving process to achieve the best results possible. We also have a settable extended edge feature to reduce any vibration showing up in the engravings edges when instantly reversing. The laser will go to zero power in this area so no burning occurs.
PEP5 J-Tech.JPG
PEP5 J-Tech.JPG (213.29 KiB) Viewed 2050 times


In our latest update, we added a settable feedrate to the extended edge to reduce any stresses on your machine and belts from the inertia of instantly reversing at high feedrates. We set this at half the full engraving feedrate for our Jimmy Stewart engraving.

You can see the extended edge feature working in this video. Notice the laser turns off when running past the engraved edges.



Here is the original and finished photo engraving done with PicEngrave Pro 5 and J-Tech's 2.8W Shapeoko Laser Kit.
Brig._Gen._James_M._Stewart.jpg
Brig._Gen._James_M._Stewart.jpg (274.44 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
JSJT.jpg
JSJT.jpg (338.19 KiB) Viewed 2050 times
Shapeoko 2 Laser Diode Engraver-Analog/TTL/PWM
PicEngrave Pro 6 Image to Gcode for grbl/Mach3 controllers-Spindle/Laser
PicLaser: Image to Gcode With Editor
PicSender: Streams grbl Raster/Vector Gcodes
https://www.picengrave.com

cvoinescu
Posts: 4442
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:50 pm
Location: Camberley, UK
Contact:

Re: Another Laser Diode Engraving Thread

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:55 am

I am a bit confused by the mention of the laser being Class 4 compliant, because that, essentially, means that the laser emits human-accessible laser radiation (direct, indirect or diffused) over and above the limits for all other classes. Class 4 is simply the most hazardous category -- there is no upper level for it. It simply means the laser does not comply with the requirements for the other classes. (That's expected, though -- it's a 2.8 W laser.) Maybe it refers to the requirement for a key switch and a safety interlock? The driver has a key switch and a connection for an external interlock switch, but the latter is almost certainly not used in the videos (there's no enclosure), so that particular installation doesn't look compliant to me.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

cozmicray
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:13 pm

Re: Another Laser Diode Engraving Thread

Post by cozmicray » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:58 am

I have the first generation JTech Laser diode/driver
I have had the laser for about a year

So how can I get the J-Tech PWM driver?
I have grbl 0.8 laserMod.

:?:



"No hardware is needed when using J-Tech's PWM driver and Laser Diode kit. The LaserMode grbl flashed to the Arduino UNO will allow you to run X,Y & Z for spindle use with a $L0 command, or switch to PWM laser use with a $L1 command. Pin 11 & ground just needs to be wire to the Modulation in on the J-Tech driver. Our Shapeoko is using the gshield also."

picengravertoo
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:23 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Another Laser Diode Engraving Thread

Post by picengravertoo » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:26 am

cozmicray wrote:I have the first generation JTech Laser diode/driver
I have had the laser for about a year

So how can I get the J-Tech PWM driver?
I have grbl 0.8 laserMod.

:?:



"No hardware is needed when using J-Tech's PWM driver and Laser Diode kit. The LaserMode grbl flashed to the Arduino UNO will allow you to run X,Y & Z for spindle use with a $L0 command, or switch to PWM laser use with a $L1 command. Pin 11 & ground just needs to be wire to the Modulation in on the J-Tech driver. Our Shapeoko is using the gshield also."
You already have a J-Tech PWM driver. If it excepts a TTL 0v off & 5v on signal, it will except a PWM signal to vary the intensity. It will require a proper gcode to engrave photos. Our PicLaser Lite and PicEngrave Pro software programs generates the proper gcodes for it.

Wire your J-Tech driver input positive "+" signal to Pin 11 and ground "-" on the gshield. Download our Demo programs and generate the code and try it. I explain our grbl settings in a previous post we use. Our pulley ratios are different then stock, so set them to match yours.

Make sure you switch to LaserMode with the $L1 command before running the code, otherwise your Z axis will move instead.
Shapeoko 2 Laser Diode Engraver-Analog/TTL/PWM
PicEngrave Pro 6 Image to Gcode for grbl/Mach3 controllers-Spindle/Laser
PicLaser: Image to Gcode With Editor
PicSender: Streams grbl Raster/Vector Gcodes
https://www.picengrave.com

picengravertoo
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:23 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Another Laser Diode Engraving Thread

Post by picengravertoo » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:50 am

cvoinescu wrote:I am a bit confused by the mention of the laser being Class 4 compliant, because that, essentially, means that the laser emits human-accessible laser radiation (direct, indirect or diffused) over and above the limits for all other classes. Class 4 is simply the most hazardous category -- there is no upper level for it. It simply means the laser does not comply with the requirements for the other classes. (That's expected, though -- it's a 2.8 W laser.) Maybe it refers to the requirement for a key switch and a safety interlock? The driver has a key switch and a connection for an external interlock switch, but the latter is almost certainly not used in the videos (there's no enclosure), so that particular installation doesn't look compliant to me.
The FDA regulations has to do with selling Class 4 laser systems in the USA, not owning them. Our Shapeoko laser engraver is not for sale, as we only use it for testing our software programs. We don't sell laser systems at picengrave dot com, only software to engrave photos with them. J-Techphotonics sells the laser kits/systems and they meet the safety compliant guidelines/regulations. Fines could be very substantial if regulations are not followed if Class 4 laser systems are sold to the general public. More information can be found here. http://www.lasercompliance.com/index.htm
Shapeoko 2 Laser Diode Engraver-Analog/TTL/PWM
PicEngrave Pro 6 Image to Gcode for grbl/Mach3 controllers-Spindle/Laser
PicLaser: Image to Gcode With Editor
PicSender: Streams grbl Raster/Vector Gcodes
https://www.picengrave.com

cvoinescu
Posts: 4442
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:50 pm
Location: Camberley, UK
Contact:

Re: Another Laser Diode Engraving Thread

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:58 am

picengravertoo wrote:The FDA regulations has to do with selling Class 4 laser systems in the USA, not owning them. Our Shapeoko laser engraver is not for sale, as we only use it for testing our software programs. We don't sell laser systems at picengrave dot com, only software to engrave photos with them. J-Techphotonics sells the laser kits/systems and they meet the safety compliant guidelines/regulations. Fines could be very substantial if regulations are not followed if Class 4 laser systems are sold to the general public. More information can be found here. http://www.lasercompliance.com/index.htm
I understand this. It's just that I took your remark about Class 4 compliance as having an element of "fear, uncertainty, and doubt". Besides the key switch, support for an interlock, and a "laser on" indicator, there's not much that makes a laser driver Class 4 compliant; certainly nothing about the laser itself, if I'm not mistaken. Add to that what you just said, that compliance is for the seller and not for the user, and it becomes largely irrelevant.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

picengravertoo
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:23 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Another Laser Diode Engraving Thread

Post by picengravertoo » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:33 pm

cvoinescu wrote:I understand this. It's just that I took your remark about Class 4 compliance as having an element of "fear, uncertainty, and doubt". Besides the key switch, support for an interlock, and a "laser on" indicator, there's not much that makes a laser driver Class 4 compliant; certainly nothing about the laser itself, if I'm not mistaken.
I understand your point, but there should always be a fear, uncertainty and doubt that any product is safe, especially with lasers. Another safety compliant feature of J-Tech laser system is if there is a power failure, the laser will not come back on when power returns.

We do have a shield around our Shapeoko to block the scattered beam, but the one in the front was removed for taking the video. J-Tech offers the shield material on there web site as well and we recommend adding that to the Shapeoko too for laser engraving. A full enclosure is highly recommended with interlock and emergency stop switches with fume extraction to the outdoors too. Ultimately, It's the end user's responsibility to be careful & safe when using any product on the market. Drinking alcohol is a good example. ;)
Shapeoko 2 Laser Diode Engraver-Analog/TTL/PWM
PicEngrave Pro 6 Image to Gcode for grbl/Mach3 controllers-Spindle/Laser
PicLaser: Image to Gcode With Editor
PicSender: Streams grbl Raster/Vector Gcodes
https://www.picengrave.com

cvoinescu
Posts: 4442
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:50 pm
Location: Camberley, UK
Contact:

Re: Another Laser Diode Engraving Thread

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:18 pm

picengravertoo wrote:I understand your point, but there should always be a fear, uncertainty and doubt that any product is safe, especially with lasers.
Yes. Class 4 means, essentially, "extremely unsafe", so I couldn't see how that was a selling point; any laser of that type would be Class 4. I agree that there's a bit more to it than just that, though, and it's good to know that the seller understands the risks and the legal requirements.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

picengravertoo
Posts: 155
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:23 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Another Laser Diode Engraving Thread

Post by picengravertoo » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:54 pm

cvoinescu wrote:Yes. Class 4 means, essentially, "extremely unsafe", so I couldn't see how that was a selling point; any laser of that type would be Class 4. I agree that there's a bit more to it than just that, though, and it's good to know that the seller understands the risks and the legal requirements.
We don't sell laser systems, only make recommendations when testing with them. Safety is always very important and we respectively agree with you. ;)
Shapeoko 2 Laser Diode Engraver-Analog/TTL/PWM
PicEngrave Pro 6 Image to Gcode for grbl/Mach3 controllers-Spindle/Laser
PicLaser: Image to Gcode With Editor
PicSender: Streams grbl Raster/Vector Gcodes
https://www.picengrave.com

cozmicray
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:13 pm

Re: Another Laser Diode Engraving Thread

Post by cozmicray » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:17 am

My arduino GRBL 8 with $L1 invoked
doesn't show any variation in voltage anywhere near 2.5V on Pin 11?

and how does a M3 S(0 to 255) get converted to a voltage and PWM coming out of pin 11?

What demo programs?


picengravertoo wrote:
cozmicray wrote:I have the first generation JTech Laser diode/driver
I have had the laser for about a year

So how can I get the J-Tech PWM driver?
I have grbl 0.8 laserMod.

:?:



"No hardware is needed when using J-Tech's PWM driver and Laser Diode kit. The LaserMode grbl flashed to the Arduino UNO will allow you to run X,Y & Z for spindle use with a $L0 command, or switch to PWM laser use with a $L1 command. Pin 11 & ground just needs to be wire to the Modulation in on the J-Tech driver. Our Shapeoko is using the gshield also."


You already have a J-Tech PWM driver. If it excepts a TTL 0v off & 5v on signal, it will except a PWM signal to vary the intensity. It will require a proper gcode to engrave photos. Our PicLaser Lite and PicEngrave Pro software programs generates the proper gcodes for it.

Wire your J-Tech driver input positive "+" signal to Pin 11 and ground "-" on the gshield. Download our Demo programs and generate the code and try it. I explain our grbl settings in a previous post we use. Our pulley ratios are different then stock, so set them to match yours.

Make sure you switch to LaserMode with the $L1 command before running the code, otherwise your Z axis will move instead.

Post Reply