Cheap Chinese Lasers (CCL)

Defy

Re: Cheap Chinese Lasers (CCL)

Post by Defy » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:26 am

Yeah i just want a thingiverse for laser things ;). There are some out there but not enough. I have assembled a good 100-200 files of smaller wood projects from google searches but the files always need tons of work with random disconnected vectors and stuff not grouped right.

Jimf

Post by Jimf » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:12 am

Every laser file I have downloaded from thingaverse needed some vector editing to make it work. Either these file have never been tested or other lasers are more tolerant of open/double vectors etc.

halfnormal

Post by halfnormal » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:33 pm

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delay in answering. I thought the site was down but just needed to reboot the router!

Two of the better CCL forums are hosted on Google groups which is not really forum friendly for searching and posting new and updated info.

I want a site that address just the laser community and is search friendly. As for product or company support, I have the blessing of PicEngrave and JTech laser.
They are interested in also having a consolidated site where they can keep up with issues. I have no monetary ideas in mind just a place that is easier to use than others.

If you check www.everythinglasers.com (yes shameless plug) I did add a repository of items to be made.

Please join and make some posts. It is your enthusiasm that has made this section of the Shapeoko forum fun to visit.

Thanks,
Larry

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:06 pm

As pointed out by Kjellke in another thread, this looks like a pretty awesome laser-cut project:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:327393

Could be useful. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516

Jimf

Post by Jimf » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:19 pm

Testing out engraving on some anodized aluminum. Worked better than I thought it would.

About 6ma, 5mm/sec speed, single pass.

http://i.imgur.com/RO2dKKi.jpg

AnonymousPerson

Post by AnonymousPerson » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:19 am

Yep, you're right that does look good. :)
Shapeoko 3 #516

bigforkg

Post by bigforkg » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:56 pm

I have the RAMPS to put in my k40 but there is one thing Im not sure about. I also have a Xcarve that uses g code sender. Will I have to change the , i believe, $1 or any other changes, when I switch between the two machines? Or is it possible to have 2 g code senders configured on the same computer?

halfnormal

Post by halfnormal » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:55 pm

I use PicSender. It has settings for laser and CNC. PicEngrave has just updated the software with some great additional capabilities that were suggested.

Jimf

Post by Jimf » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:08 pm

Just playing around with raster engraving vs cutting.

Joy Division album cover converted to vector image. 1/4 birch plywood. Instead of using raster engraving which would take much longer to do, used the cutting function to follow the vector path. Set the speed and power so it just barely cuts through the top layer of the plywood. Much faster to do and probably comes out a bit cleaner too. Would only work if you have a fairly simple vector image. I think I will try a world map next.

Speed 40mm/sec and 5ma power.

http://i.imgur.com/7EyOVcc.jpg

xfredericox

Post by xfredericox » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:57 pm

looks awesome

how did u convert this to a vector? I can't possibly imagine some software was able to convert it automatically into 1 continuous path
Visit my blog for updates on my current SO2/lasercutting/... projects.
http://www.manmademayhem.com