Is anyone using J-Tech's version of GRBL with their laser?

etxbkst

Is anyone using J-Tech's version of GRBL with their laser?

Post by etxbkst » Sun May 01, 2016 7:13 am

I got the 2.8w laser and driver package yesterday. I decided to upgrade my Arduino to J-Tech's GRBL release. Upon doing so I encountered terrible arcs and bad step offsets. After reflashing and having the same issues I jumped to the stock GRBL .9 latest release. My arcs are great now (I'm just trying to cut a rounded corner square), but I'm still getting occasional missed steps and I have yet to successfully cut through a 1/8" piece of birch plywood. Im also confused as to whether S18000 means full power or if it should be S255. Has anyone else experienced these sorts of issues?

HPGreyling

Re: Is anyone using J-Tech's version of GRBL with their lase

Post by HPGreyling » Sun May 01, 2016 7:31 am

I am using their version of grbl without any problems.

Their power setting for the laser are 1-255 with 255 being the highest.

etxbkst

Post by etxbkst » Sun May 01, 2016 8:10 am

Thanks for your reply. I guess I'll flash it again and see what happens. What sorts of materials have you cut with your laser?

HPGreyling

Post by HPGreyling » Sun May 01, 2016 9:36 am

Mostly thin stuff. Balsa wood for models, cardboard, plywood.

I use it mostly for laser engraving, if thats the correct word, on wood and acrylic mostly

halfnormal

Post by halfnormal » Sun May 01, 2016 4:13 pm

The J-Tech GRBL is optimized for raster engraving. In order to optimize it, it had to remove the math portion for Arcs.

If you use PicSender for Gcode sending, it allows you to save your GRBL settings and you can reflash the Arduino with any GRBL for the project your are doing.
Some people will use one setup for both CNC and laser, others use two separate setups.

Bottom line, laser GRBL is optimize for raster engraving, standard is for CNC and cutting.

etxbkst

Post by etxbkst » Sun May 01, 2016 5:11 pm

halfnormal wrote:The J-Tech GRBL is optimized for raster engraving. In order to optimize it, it had to remove the math portion for Arcs.

If you use PicSender for Gcode sending, it allows you to save your GRBL settings and you can reflash the Arduino with any GRBL for the project your are doing.
Some people will use one setup for both CNC and laser, others use two separate setups.

Bottom line, laser GRBL is optimize for raster engraving, standard is for CNC and cutting.
That explains it! Thank you!

etxbkst

Post by etxbkst » Sun May 01, 2016 5:12 pm

halfnormal wrote:The J-Tech GRBL is optimized for raster engraving. In order to optimize it, it had to remove the math portion for Arcs.

One more question... Do you know anything about Pic Laser 3D? I'd like to do some 3D relief engravings, but I'm not sure if that's the only software I need. I signed up for their forum, but my account still hasn't been activated.

picengravertoo

Post by picengravertoo » Sun May 01, 2016 10:05 pm

etxbkst wrote: One more question... Do you know anything about Pic Laser 3D? I'd like to do some 3D relief engravings, but I'm not sure if that's the only software I need. I signed up for their forum, but my account still hasn't been activated.
PicLaser 3D is for combining 3D spindle relief gcode & Laser power gcode for shading the spindle relief's contours. This is so the laser's focal point follows the contours with Z axis command moves so the Laser does not go out of focus.

I responded to your email yesterday concerning which software generates gcode for 3D Laser Diode engraving.
Shapeoko 2 Laser Diode Engraver-Analog/TTL/PWM
PicEngrave Pro 6 Image to Gcode for grbl/Mach3 controllers-Spindle/Laser
PicLaser: Image to Gcode With Editor
PicSender: Streams grbl Raster/Vector Gcodes
https://www.picengrave.com

etxbkst

Post by etxbkst » Sun May 01, 2016 10:55 pm

picengravertoo wrote:
etxbkst wrote: One more question... Do you know anything about Pic Laser 3D? I'd like to do some 3D relief engravings, but I'm not sure if that's the only software I need. I signed up for their forum, but my account still hasn't been activated.
PicLaser 3D is for combining 3D spindle relief gcode & Laser power gcode for shading the spindle relief's contours. This is so the laser's focal point follows the contours with Z axis command moves so the Laser does not go out of focus.

I responded to your email yesterday concerning which software generates gcode for 3D Laser Diode engraving.
Thanks for your reply! And I apparently missed your email when it came in. Sorry about that.