Laser Eye Protection

DigitalDaze

Laser Eye Protection

Post by DigitalDaze » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:32 am

Because these lasers can cause eye damage, I wonder if anyone has a recommendation for laser protection goggles. The laser I got was a 2.8 watt 450nm laser.

I've seen some goggles that specify CO2 lasers, diodes or other types of lasers, but does that matter? I thought wavelength is what mattered the most.

Also, what is optical density, what range should I look for? And what numbers are good for "visible light transmittance"?

Thanks in advance.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Re: Laser Eye Protection

Post by WillAdams » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:10 am

I would start w/ the vendor — I thought they all included goggles. If not, let me know so that we can make a note on the one(s) which don’t.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/Makita RT0701 Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Elaire precision collets
Nomad 883 Pro #596 (bamboo)

DigitalDaze

Post by DigitalDaze » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:55 am

Did some research on this.....

When ordering a laser, you really need to understand what you are getting for protection to make sure you are protected. For my Laser (450nm, 2.8Watt) I got goggles that protect against light wavelengths 190-540nm&800-1700nm and with an Optical Density of 5 for the wavelength of my laser. And Visible Light Transmission (VLT) of about 35% which might be a little dark and maybe a little overkill, but i'd like to be absolutely sure to keep my eyeballs working.

That's all I know... be sure to get from a reputable place/vendor. There are many Chinese goggles that aren't what they say they are and you'd never know until you go blind with no real recourse. Better safe than sorry.

jayselway

Post by jayselway » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:21 pm

DigitalDaze wrote:Did some research on this.....

When ordering a laser, you really need to understand what you are getting for protection to make sure you are protected. For my Laser (450nm, 2.8Watt) I got goggles that protect against light wavelengths 190-540nm&800-1700nm and with an Optical Density of 5 for the wavelength of my laser. And Visible Light Transmission (VLT) of about 35% which might be a little dark and maybe a little overkill, but i'd like to be absolutely sure to keep my eyeballs working.

That's all I know... be sure to get from a reputable place/vendor. There are many Chinese goggles that aren't what they say they are and you'd never know until you go blind with no real recourse. Better safe than sorry.
We use standard safety glasses from Uline. Check out William Osman's YouTube video about lasers and eyeballs.