Linux CNC Mini ITX Setup

Discussion of linuxCNC (formerly knows as EMC2)
danimal

Linux CNC Mini ITX Setup

Post by danimal » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:29 am

So I was surfing around the other day and saw a link on an old thread somewhere for this motherboard:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DML ... UTF8&psc=1

I figured that they were a thing of the past but then I found them on Amazon for $60. Just add memory and a power supply and you are set. There was an slick little in-win case on sale as well that included a decent 200W power supply so I grabbed one of those too.

http://www.amazon.com/In-Win-200-Watt-M ... WVR8HYEJAV

I just bought this the other day and it was almost $20 cheaper with free shipping with amazon prime so it looks like it is fluctuating a little bit but will probably be lower again here in a day or two. Reading about them, they are just okay for most things computer, but they have a built in Parallel port and incredibly low latency so great for CNC. From the reviews they are supposedly pretty stout and reliable, though some reviews are brought down due to people complaining about their gaming ability and graphic frame-rates. :lol:

Either way I figured it was something that others considering linuxCNC would be interested in. I think for the complete build including 4GB memory I am into it less than $150. I have a 32GB intel SSD that I am going to use for the hard drive so the whole thing should be pretty quick and perfect for running the CNC without using an ancient full size tower. The memory I bought was Gskill ripjaws 1333 CL7, according to the mobo specs 1333 is all it will handle, though there are threads where others run 1600 or 1866 in an OC profile. I am not planning on pushing the limits of its stock configuration so why bother.
Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

danimal

Re: Linux CNC Mini ITX Setup

Post by danimal » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:19 pm

I got everything in but the memory that I ordered from newegg so I decided to throw it all together with some cheap old memory I had laying around before I head off to work. I have never built a mini ITX before, and man it is a little tight in there. Here are some pics:

This is it next to the computer that it is replacing

Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

RobCee

Post by RobCee » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:13 am

It is pretty small isn't it!
Would be more space if you could lose the CD/DVD unit though

RC - Tapatalk
ShapeOko2 #3400 - Chinese 800W AC Spindle - Stiffened X-Axis - TR10 Z-Axis - Inverted Z Motor - Hall Effect Limits - Drag Chains & Custom Brackets

danimal

Post by danimal » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:56 am

RobCee wrote:It is pretty small isn't it!
Would be more space if you could lose the CD/DVD unit though

RC - Tapatalk
Yeah, and I plan to take it out soon. I needed to repair linuxCNC after I moved the drive and the easiest way was to use the install disk.
Shapeoko # 1458

samc99us

Post by samc99us » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:53 pm

Nice setup! This has to be waaaay overkill for LinuxCNC, considering the setup I'm running on has a mere 1gb of RAM. Definitely a great option for those considering LinuxCNC, IMO better than a refurb. When my machine kicks, I'll probably do something similar.
Modified Shapeoko 2: 1500mm fully supported y-axis, 1000 mm 4060 x-axis, ACME Belt Drive Z-axis, Dewalt DNP611, full aluminum t-slot table, 4x NEMA23 180 oz/in stepper motors driven by a G540

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:26 am

samc99us wrote:Nice setup! This has to be waaaay overkill for LinuxCNC, considering the setup I'm running on has a mere 1gb of RAM. Definitely a great option for those considering LinuxCNC, IMO better than a refurb. When my machine kicks, I'll probably do something similar.
I was looking around and there are some older Dells out there, but most are used or refurbished and still cost around $200. I have to be honest this little setup is awesome! With the small SSD, linuxCNC is about 4GB total installed with other add on's. It boots from completely off to ready to mill in about 9 - 10 seconds.

Also the max jitter that I was getting was about 7000 ns for the latency test and that was moving windows, opening and closing other programs as well. The memory I have in there now is 1060 with a cas latency of 9, but I am replacing it with some 1333 CL7 when it arrives. It should make a considerable difference. I think that my old PC had about 17000 ns unstressed.
Shapeoko # 1458

samc99us

Post by samc99us » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:09 am

danimal,

Thanks for posting this! Glad it is buttery smooth! Sorry to burst your bubble, but you probably aren't going to notice the upgrade to 1333 from 1066, purely for LinuxCNC work. I'm at a latency of 30000ns, running off a spinning disk (what is that?), and it's fine!! If you're gaming or running a lot of computational work, the extra memory bandwidth can be a few % improvement on most any system (some processors/GPU's are more memory bandwidth limited than others of course, this falls into that category some with the integrated graphics), but again, LinuxCNC is a light load!
Modified Shapeoko 2: 1500mm fully supported y-axis, 1000 mm 4060 x-axis, ACME Belt Drive Z-axis, Dewalt DNP611, full aluminum t-slot table, 4x NEMA23 180 oz/in stepper motors driven by a G540

danimal

Post by danimal » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:28 pm

Oh I am sure that I will not notice it for running linuxCNC, it is just a matter of reducing the jitter a little. The difference in price was $2 so I just went with the faster lower latency memory. I got it in there now and it really makes a difference for the larger programs. I was unsure if I was going to be able to run any CAD or CAM software from this machine, but now that I have it up and running I am sure that most light design work will be a piece of cake for this machine.

Do you do any CAD / CAM work on your linux machine? If so what software do you use? I installed Wine so that I can run SprutCAM, but the list for linux CAD packages on the linuxCNC site is somewhat long and unclear as to real capabilities of the software.
Shapeoko # 1458

r2droidfactory

Post by r2droidfactory » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:54 am

Hi danimal

I'm thinking of following you on using this as my platform for linuxcnc.

Did you have to download linux drivers to get linuxcnc running and if so can you point me to where you downloaded them

Thank You

danimal

Post by danimal » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:44 pm

r2droidfactory,

I just downloaded the main ISO file from linuxCNC.org and burned it to a DVD. After installing it, it will update itself and download all of the drivers needed through the Ubuntu Software Center provided you have it connected to the internet. The only thing that I have found that I need to fix is the sound driver. I just have not gotten around to it yet, but the speakers do not work.
Shapeoko # 1458