Windows7 or not?

Discussion of linuxCNC (formerly knows as EMC2)
SmokyRick

Windows7 or not?

Post by SmokyRick » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:43 pm

Will LinuxCNC work with a windows 7 system? I know this may sound abnormal, but I am used to being that way.
Thanks,
SmokyRick
Smoky Rick Crawford in the middle of Northern Illinois, USA.
ShapeOko2 s/n 5200 all stock. Arduino, gshield, Grbl Controller, Autodesk Fusion 360.
Mods: Quiet cut spindle, grbl v0.9g w/ spindle control enabled.

crazeegeek

Re: Windows7 or not?

Post by crazeegeek » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:49 pm

You could run it something like virtualbox, but I wouldn't. Just set your PC up to dual boot, see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot . You might be better off picking up a cheap notebook just for linux, it doesn't need that much resources to run. I have a couple of older thinkpads that I picked up off ebay for next to nothing.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:10 am

No, it will not work. Even if you got it to work in a virtual environment, LinuxCNC has a real-time component, and I highly doubt that a virtual environment would support that.

It shouldn't be a problem to dual-boot, or even boot LinuxCNC off a live CD or USB drive and leave the hard drive with Windows untouched.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

SmokyRick

Post by SmokyRick » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:47 am

Thanks for all the replies. I am not sure if I really want to do this or not. I use Windows at work and have for 28 years or so. Hard to switch after all that time. Also I don't know much about Linux. Had it a couple times on home computer but never got used to it.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk
Smoky Rick Crawford in the middle of Northern Illinois, USA.
ShapeOko2 s/n 5200 all stock. Arduino, gshield, Grbl Controller, Autodesk Fusion 360.
Mods: Quiet cut spindle, grbl v0.9g w/ spindle control enabled.

megeshg

Post by megeshg » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:31 am

there is quite a difference between Ubuntu and command line Linux. Ubuntu is very much focused on the user interface and a lot of it is very similar to windows with a few quirks.

Take the advice and get a spare PC and load Ubuntu on it and have that as a dedicated machine to run your mill.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:55 pm

With a live LinuxCNC distribution, you don't have to worry about Linux too much -- you don't get to see much of it, because the live CD (or USB drive) starts LinuxCNC automatically. It's also a good way to try LinuxCNC before you make changes to your computer.

I've heard this "it's just like Windows but with a few quirks" before. Not true (or at least, not to the extent that you can jump in and use it productively right away). The UI uses many of the same metaphors, so it'll be reasonably familiar, but some things you take for granted in Windows won't be there -- drive letters, for instance, you'll bump into the fact that Linux doesn't have them the moment you insert your USB drive and try to find it to open and run your G-code file. It's a small detail, but if you don't know what to look for instead, it can be very disorienting.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

ijv

Post by ijv » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:25 am

I actually use Linux CNC to run Universal GCode Sender (UGC) :lol:

There is a reason for this madness, I had an ancient laptop with a real parallel port that I could dedicate to my Shapeoko and I wanted to preserve the options of running Linux CNC or Mach 3, so I dual booted it. Exploring Linux CNC & Mach 3 is still my long term plan, but so far UGC runs great under Linux CNC, better than under Windows XP for me. For some reason UGC seems to be a little flaky under XP.

ijv