Absolute Position Linear Encoder

Discussion of linuxCNC (formerly knows as EMC2)
danimal

Absolute Position Linear Encoder

Post by danimal » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:54 pm

So I lucked into a broken old drafting printer that has some nice absolute position linear encoders. They will more than cover the work area of my machine so I am thinking of building a digital read out / position feed back to LinuxCNC. What I do not know is what I am going to need to build to get the encoders talking to the PC in a way that EMC2 will be able to interpret and use in a meaningful way while controlling.

If someone could explain what EMC2 is looking for, and how to use it I would really appreciate it. This is my first stop for research so I will probably slowly convert it into a build log as time progresses and I get things up and running.
Shapeoko # 1458

RT0701C Spindle || dual y motor || x axis nema23 with custom carriage 1000mm length || z axis nema23 linear rail upgrade with 1/2-10 ACME

DanMc

Re: Absolute Position Linear Encoder

Post by DanMc » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:54 pm

It's my understanding that the encoders normally hook up to the drivers themselves in a closed loop system and driver varies torque if the motor is not where it's supposed to be. I use mach3 and I believe there are encoder inputs but I don't know if that's an actual closed loop system or just a fault detector type setup.

There was a recent thread on one of the reprap forums about a low cost closed loop stepper driver but he was using rotary encoders on the stepper.

Sorry, probably not much help.