Touch off issues - I'm sure I'm doing something wrong

Discussion of linuxCNC (formerly knows as EMC2)
Carl Fisher

Touch off issues - I'm sure I'm doing something wrong

Post by Carl Fisher » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:55 pm

So it's been a while since I've been able to get back to my machine. It's been built and sitting for a few months and now I'm finally getting around to doing some hello world testing. I'm using the LinuxCNC file that auto launches since the Shapeoko one doesn't want to load in LinuxCNC.

I have a pencil mounted in the collet and after I home all of the axis I do a touch off to the worktable. I have it set to worktable in the machine settings and I'll touch off so that the tip of the pencil just touches the paper. When it asks me for the workpiece offset I leave it at 0 since I'm touching off to the worktable instead of the piece.

When I run, it raises the Z, positions itself and then proceeds to mash the pencil into the paper until the lead crushes. It's definitely not trying to mash the .20 of the work piece thickness so I can't figure out why it's driving it down so hard.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but not sure what.

Any thoughts?

Carl Fisher

Re: Touch off issues - I'm sure I'm doing something wrong

Post by Carl Fisher » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:12 pm

Nevermind, I figured it out.

The LinuxCNC splash is an engraving option that has a 0.08 depth of cut to it. I set my touch off offset to -0.08 and it worked like a charm.

northbear

Re: Touch off issues - I'm sure I'm doing something wrong

Post by northbear » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:55 pm

I hate to admit I did the exact same thing on my first try - only with a sharpie pen. Mashed the felt tip quite well! Glad you got it figured out!
My buildlog is here