Shapeoko 3 with LinuxCNC

Discussion of linuxCNC (formerly knows as EMC2)
AgentWD-40

Shapeoko 3 with LinuxCNC

Post by AgentWD-40 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:07 pm

Hey everyone,

I've worked with CNC machines for several years, but I've never actually built one. I'm now considering ordering a Shapeoko 3, but I'm wondering about the control software. From the main page I can see that it ships with Carbide Motion Machine Control, but it looks like that was designed for Windows and OSX. Every computer I have has been running on either Ubuntu or Linux Mint for several years and I really don't want to purchase a copy of Windows. Do any of you know if the Shapeoko 3 will work with LinuxCNC?

Thank you in advance!

Dave

Re: Shapeoko 3 with LinuxCNC

Post by Dave » Tue May 12, 2015 1:26 am

I'll be in the same boat, with the same questions.

There's a little bit of a discussion here about running CarbideMotion in WINE under Linux:
http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=830
... but it's just speculation, not any real world testing.

Google also found this feature request and a response:
http://community.carbide3d.com/t/my-sof ... d-asks/127
... which seems to indicate that they are at least considering it, but as of February, it wasn't in the plans for the near-term.

PAPPP

Re: Shapeoko 3 with LinuxCNC

Post by PAPPP » Tue May 12, 2015 3:47 am

The little AVR+Drivers controller they come with runs GRBL and should work with Linux (because it's basically just a serial device you stream gcode to) with any of several gcode senders. The different senders fake different collections of functionality in software but are all basically interchangeable, Carbide Motion (as noted) and ChiliPeppr (browser-based) seem to have the most bells and whistles at the moment.

You'd need to swap in different electronics to use LinuxCNC, you can buy or build a variety of suitable driver boards, pretty much anything designed to take step/direction signals will work. There are a fair number of Shapeoko-family machines (including mine) using various assemblages of drivers and breakouts fed from LinuxCNC boxes.