Step-by-Step?

Discussion of tinyG control platform
matthewepler

Step-by-Step?

Post by matthewepler » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:06 pm

Has anyone published a step-by-step for getting the TinyG board working properly with the Shapeoko?

I've seen tinyG's gitHub wiki, but there are a lot of things in there that are foreign to someone who isn't already familiar with these things. For instance, I'm stuck wondering if I need to do any configuration from the command line as seen here: https://github.com/synthetos/TinyG/wiki ... nd-Earlier

I have the board powered, the motors wired in, and the fan working. But the next step isn't clear, or I just haven't found the right source of information.

Appreciate any guidance,

M. Epler
NYC

cvoinescu

Re: Step-by-Step?

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:27 am

I'm not aware of a step-by-step guide, and you have to configure the TinyG for the ShapeOko. I've just got my TinyG, but I'm away from home for a few more days so I can't play with it yet.

However, the header file on this wiki page is very useful. Most (all?) of those parameters can be changed with commands, and the file gives some of the commands as comments. For instance,

Code: Select all

#define M1_MOTOR_MAP X					// 1ma
means that the command $1ma is used to map motor 1. Don't worry about the first few lines above that, they're already set up that way by default. Start with the motor settings, and work your way down. When you get to the rotational axes, simply disable them ($aam=0, $bam=0, $cam=0) and that's it.

You may want to map two motors to the Y axis. Customarily, that means $1ma=0, $2ma=1, $3ma=1, $4ma=2 (so motor 1 is X, motors 2 and 3 are Y, and motor 4 is Z -- you duplicate the Y settings on motors 2 and 3). I encourage you to read the TinyG documentation about this, which is very well written.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

bjbsquared

Post by bjbsquared » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:53 am

#1016 - 1M x 1M Y: Dual Motor Drive w/Looped Belts, X:Dual Rail with wlanfox blocks, Z: Stock, Spindle:DW660

ril3y

Post by ril3y » Thu May 09, 2013 8:43 pm

This is not exactly what you are after. But its a good place to get an idea of the settings we prebuilt for tinyg. The default firmware we ship with TinyG does not use the "Shapeoko Profile". This profile is really really fast since its for belt machines thats obvious. So there are 2 things you can do. You can lookup the values here:
https://github.com/synthetos/TinyG/blob ... peoko375.h

and then just do it all manually via $1am=blah.... etc..

Or you can define the shapeoko profile and recompile the firmware. If you do not have avrstudio installed and setup for this project it might be better to just do it by hand. I am working on tgFX to support profiles. However I had to do some major refactoring first. Things we getting a bit unruly :) I should have something pretty soon but for the time being its not too hard to hand jam these settings.

I am working (in my massive amounts of spare time... * sarcasm*) to do some videos on setting up TinyG. Here is one for homing switches. I just so happen to use my Shapeoko to illustrate it. Oh and forgive my calling X, Y and Y, X and the cut off in the video while moving does not help either!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65jAAl1z ... jw&index=1

Riley