Should I get TinyG?

Discussion of tinyG control platform
jkanzaki

Should I get TinyG?

Post by jkanzaki » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:18 pm

Hey Everyone,

I have the original grbl shield but rescently, i purchase the dual drive upgrade and realize the grbl has only 3 axis. Now I think i need to upgrade to a different board. I look into the tinyG looks like a pretty solidboard but i have a few questions.

1. Limit switches, I got these optical limit switch
Would they work with tinyG? How would I connect them?

2. is there pin out for Fans?

3. is it difficult to configure the dual Y motor setup?

4. Whats the different between tinyG and XStepper ? other than the cost.

any other comment will be appreciated.

Thanks again.
Shapeoko 1 - dissassemble
Shapeoko 2 - 1 x 1m expansion TinyG, superPid, Dw660, Aluminum extrusion bed, Nema 23, acme, Z axis upgrade, Dual Y
Shapeoko 3 - 0051 Stock Dw611, SuperPid, limit switch, 9mm belt

tweak

Re: Should I get TinyG?

Post by tweak » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:14 pm

I can answer a few of your questions.

I've got a TinyG, and it is a beta product, but when it works it works really well.

Limit switches are limited to 3.3v. You could use some logic to convert the signal, and should never pass +5v into the TinyG. TinyG supports both NC and NO switches, but I use NC as it's less sensitive to noise.
There's a normal PC fan header (3 pins) for 12v or 24v fans. (selected with a jumper)
Not difficult at all to configure dual Y motors. I use motor 4 output for my second Y motor, and I switched the direction with one setting change.
ShapeOko hybrid, Dual X & Y Axis, ACME Z Axis, All NEMA 17, Kress 1050 FME-1 spindle (1.05KW), Steel V-Wheels & Hardcoat MakerSlide, Aluminum spacers, TinyG Controller, 800x550mm work area.

jkanzaki

Post by jkanzaki » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:34 pm

Hello Tweak,

how many limit switch can tinyG support?

I wonder if i use 3.3 to power the optical sensor i shown above would it work.
Shapeoko 2 - 1 x 1m expansion TinyG, superPid, Dw660, Aluminum extrusion bed, Nema 23, acme, Z axis upgrade, Dual Y

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:36 pm

TinyG supports up to eight limit switches, two on each axis. However, in the XYYZ configuration, you need only six.

XStepper gives you the same functionality as an Arduino Uno with a 4-axis shield on top. The processor is the same 8-bit Atmega328P at 16 MHz, and it runs GRBL. TinyG, on the other hand, has a much more powerful 32-bit AVR processor, and runs the TinyG firmware. It has more advanced motion control ("constant jerk") so it moves more smoothly. It can achieve 50 KHz pulses, whereas GRBL 0.8 can reach 30 KHz, and last I checked GRBL 0.9 could do only half that. GRBL 0.8 has a major limitation: all axes share the same acceleration and traverse speed, and the fact that the Z axis needs many more pulses per mm than the X and Y also limits the X and Y speed. TinyG has no such limitations.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

whimmel

Post by whimmel » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:35 pm

Now that Intel has announced an Arduino hardware-compatible board, but with a Pentium-class CPU, I'm curious about building LinuxCNC for it to use a Grblshield.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:55 pm

That's very interesting! Or not, depending on how they'll handle the pins. Is there a Mega version? :)
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

zerblatt007

Post by zerblatt007 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:15 am

Have anybody seen a price on this Intel board?
LinuxCNC with GRBLshield would be very interesting for me, but not if the price would be significantly higher that on the TinyG.
Shapeoko #958: Dual-Y drive, Double-X, Belt on outside, 1m Y-Axis, Acme Z, Opened up and boxed in. Kress 1050 Spindle.

potatotron

Post by potatotron » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:32 am

whimmel wrote:Now that Intel has announced an Arduino hardware-compatible board, but with a Pentium-class CPU, I'm curious about building LinuxCNC for it to use a Grblshield.
I wouldn't hold my breath, at least for this first version. Although the Intel / Arduino Galileo will have a much more powerful CPU (32 bit, 400 Mhz, 256 MB RAM) the I/O is hobbled by 100 KHz I2C bus. On a recent hackaday forum (http://hackaday.com/2013/10/03/the-inte ... d-arduino/) it's been pointed out that the fastest rate will be about 230 Hertz. Flipping a stepper driver pin 230 times a second is not going to get your motors moving very quickly.

Back to the OP's question -- I have 2 TinyGs. One is on my CNC mill with a dual Y axis, the other is on my pick and place machine where the 4th axis controls pickup head rotation. Other than a firmware problem when I first received the board (a problem converting inches to metric, now long since resolved) I've had zero issues. I recommend.

jkanzaki

Post by jkanzaki » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:28 am

Thanks everyone, i've place an order of the board.

rickmellor

Post by rickmellor » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:24 am

Looks like GPIO on Galileo can do better than the default rate.

https://communities.intel.com/message/207904