tinyG Vectric Aspire Post Processor

Discussion of tinyG control platform
dataway

tinyG Vectric Aspire Post Processor

Post by dataway » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:31 pm

Hello All,

I am thinking of making the move from GRBL to tinyG as my GRBL shield has been giving me issues. I wanted to see if anyone is using tinyG with tool paths generated from Vectric Aspire as this is the software I use for my workflow.

Thanks for any input...

John
Shapeoko 2, Dewalt DW660 1/4" shaft/ 1/8" shaft, 3D printed Dust Shoe,Dual Y Axis.

dataway

Re: tinyG Vectric Aspire Post Processor

Post by dataway » Thu May 01, 2014 5:37 pm

I have located the post processors for tinyG that function under Vectric Aspire so all is good in the world and looking forward to making to jump from GRBL to tinyG....
Shapeoko 2, Dewalt DW660 1/4" shaft/ 1/8" shaft, 3D printed Dust Shoe,Dual Y Axis.

EdwardP

Post by EdwardP » Fri May 02, 2014 1:51 pm

Hi John,

Just to let you know that I made the move from GRBL to TinyG quite few months ago now and I've not looked back. I saw your post on the TinyG forum, so I know you have some custom posts (which also support tool changers) already, but I've actually just been using the standard GCode mm post provided with Aspire and this works pretty well straight out of the box too.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

Cheers

Edward

dataway

Post by dataway » Fri May 02, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi Edward,

Thanks for the update I will give them both a try. The tinyG should be here on Tuesday, I am hoping for an easy transition as I have quite a few CNC jobs backed up at the moment, but it has given me the time to put together a dust collection system :) I will update this post with my adventure ....

briankb

Post by briankb » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:26 am

I will be using Vectric as well, where did you find the right post processors to use with TinyG?

I only have the ones to use with my Shark CNC machine.

dataway

Post by dataway » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:14 pm

@briankb - I have actually been using the post processor that comes with Vectric Aspire and is the Standard GCode mm Post processor and it has been working very well but I did make a minor modification to introduce the M3 and M5 S8000 commands to control my spindle start, stop and speak, at the beginning and ending of the post processor. I do have the tiny post processors also if you need them send me an PM and I can get them over to you.

Regards,

John

motions

Post by motions » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:03 pm

What's the difference between the "arc" and "no_arc" file? I'm about to upgrade to tinyG and I was going to just use my Shapeoko PP in Aspire. Will that not work?

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:08 pm

At a guess the no_arc file approximates curves w/ lots of little straight lines.

See this: http://mae.engr.ucdavis.edu/~farouki/ijmtm99a.pdf for a discussion of why that's bad.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets