ChiliPeppr Gcode Sender

Discussion of tinyG control platform
dataway

ChiliPeppr Gcode Sender

Post by dataway » Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:04 pm

Just wanted to share this with the group. I have been struggling with TGfx sending gcode to my tinyG and was looking for alternatives and stumbled upon this web based gcode sender and have run a few complex 3D milling jobs that TGfx would not run successfully and chilipeppr ran them flawlessly. I am running it on my Windows 7 system as you have to install and run a serial port JSON server.

You can find more info here:

chilipeppr.com
Shapeoko 2, Dewalt DW660 1/4" shaft/ 1/8" shaft, 3D printed Dust Shoe,Dual Y Axis.

jlauer

Re: ChiliPeppr Gcode Sender

Post by jlauer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:38 pm

Glad to hear it ran flawlessly. I am the creator of the app and love hearing the feedback. You should try forking the workspace and adding even more functionality.

dataway

Post by dataway » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:42 pm

Hi John,

Yes I just went through your hello world video you had posted on youtube and I am a software developer by trade and will definitely be extending the functionality. I noticed the home button did not work on either the over all homing and via each axis so was going to start off looking at that as a starting point.

Thanks for a great app....
Last edited by dataway on Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shapeoko 2, Dewalt DW660 1/4" shaft/ 1/8" shaft, 3D printed Dust Shoe,Dual Y Axis.

jlauer

Post by jlauer » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:05 pm

Wow. You found the ONLY part of the app that has a UI element with no code behind it. Those commands will simply issue a g28 command. Done. It's roughly a 5 minute change.

dataway

Post by dataway » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:19 pm

Thanks John appreciate the quick fix for that ... This is so simple and extensible... but you know what I did experience is some stuttering on intricate curves seems like the planner buffer is being starved on these types of moves but I think just looking at your code it may be a tuning setting on the tinyG board possibly the jerk settings etc..., have you experienced this ?

lordmundi

Post by lordmundi » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:31 am

very interesting... could you use your serial port json server to serve up the serial port from a raspberry pi with a Shapeoko2 attached, and then print to it using something like your program or Easel? That would be great if it was basically a straight conversion from tcp to serial and the software didn't have other requirements on the port (like some sort of connection header or something).

dataway

Post by dataway » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:44 am

lordmundi wrote:very interesting... could you use your serial port json server to serve up the serial port from a raspberry pi with a Shapeoko2 attached, and then print to it using something like your program or Easel? That would be great if it was basically a straight conversion from tcp to serial and the software didn't have other requirements on the port (like some sort of connection header or something).
Yes you can use the JSON port server on the Raspberry Pi, when you goto chilipeppr.com and select tinyG workspace from the page it gives you the information on the port server and links to download the server for various operating systems:
Screen Shot 2014-06-26 at 5.39.40 PM.png
Port server info
Screen Shot 2014-06-26 at 5.39.40 PM.png (104.16 KiB) Viewed 3069 times
I have not tested it yet on my Raspberry Pi or Beagle Bone Black but that is next on my list. and will report back here..

jlauer

Post by jlauer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:42 am

Yes, this definitely works on Raspberry Pi, Beagle Bone, and really any OS where you can compile Golang. It's a super lightweight executable as well. It only uses around 2MB of RAM when sending/receiving serial port data and won't put your CPU above perhaps a 5% usage number. That's why it was written in Golang--to keep memory and CPU needs wayyyy down so embededded systems would work great for this setup while your fancy laptop or tablet did most of the hard work in the browser.

jlauer

Post by jlauer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:52 am

dataway wrote:Thanks John appreciate the quick fix for that ... This is so simple and extensible... but you know what I did experience is some stuttering on intricate curves seems like the planner buffer is being starved on these types of moves but I think just looking at your code it may be a tuning setting on the tinyG board possibly the jerk settings etc..., have you experienced this ?
There is some tweaking you could try. The Gcode Widget sends a line of Gcode every 1ms. That typically is enough to fill the planner buffer. It also gives plenty of time for other processing to occur and most importantly for the /plannerpause signal to be published (when you see the little clock icon go yellow) when the TinyG Widget sees that the planner buffer is too full on the TinyG.

However, it seems even 1ms could be too slow with very short Gcode moves. I think the best strategy is to send 2, 3, or even 4 blocks of Gcode at a time to the TinyG. That really would mean you should tweak some code in the onPlayNextLine() method of the Gcode widget inside JSFiddle. It's on line 598. Just send in multiple lines at a time. If it works well, post the new workspace you created to the forum and i can merge it with the main branch of /tinyg.

jlauer

Post by jlauer » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:54 am

dataway wrote:Just wanted to share this with the group. I have been struggling with TGfx sending gcode to my tinyG and was looking for alternatives and stumbled upon this web based gcode sender and have run a few complex 3D milling jobs that TGfx would not run successfully and chilipeppr ran them flawlessly. I am running it on my Windows 7 system as you have to install and run a serial port JSON server.
Any chance you could post what your 3D Viewer looks like with some of the Gcode? That's the most complicated widget in all of the ChiliPeppr code base at this point so it's cool to see it working with other folks' Gcode files.