Is it safe to wire the 'Y' axis on the TinyG like a gshield?

Discussion of tinyG control platform
sraney

Is it safe to wire the 'Y' axis on the TinyG like a gshield?

Post by sraney » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:58 pm

Well after playing with the gShield and attempting to wire up everything with shields and such, I about to move off to a TinyG board v8 I have, the PWM offering for spindle speed should help.

On the TinyG I see I can move the second stepper motor for the Y-axis to a dedicated motor. But I would like to move forward at a later date with rotational milling. I miss my mini-lathe. Can I keep it like it's currently configured for the gShield with both Y-axis's steppers connected to a single port?

- S Raney
-- sraney
---------------------------------------
  • break nothing but silence
  • take nothing but pictures
  • leave nothing but footprints

cvoinescu

Re: Is it safe to wire the 'Y' axis on the TinyG like a gshi

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:08 am

sraney wrote:On the TinyG I see I can move the second stepper motor for the Y-axis to a dedicated motor. But I would like to move forward at a later date with rotational milling. I miss my mini-lathe. Can I keep it like it's currently configured for the gShield with both Y-axis's steppers connected to a single port?
Yes.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

CastIrony

Post by CastIrony » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:21 pm

cvoinescu wrote:
sraney wrote:On the TinyG I see I can move the second stepper motor for the Y-axis to a dedicated motor. But I would like to move forward at a later date with rotational milling. I miss my mini-lathe. Can I keep it like it's currently configured for the gShield with both Y-axis's steppers connected to a single port?
Yes.
Is this more effective than the drive shaft option? It seems like it would be, but I don't have a good handle on how motor performance changes when you put two steppers on a single driver.
Shapeoko 3 #192 - Complete! Needs limit switches.

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:08 pm

It depends on what's "effective" to you. Will Adams, a great proponent of the drive shaft option, says that it's simpler, but I've always disagreed with that. It actually has more parts, and more part types, than the dual-motor option. At least one part you need to make yourself. The drive shaft doesn't work well for a long X axis, and it's not an option if you've modified your Y motor plates to move the gantry back to gain work area. The shaft itself twists under load, which adds to the error on the far side from the motor. On the plus side, the drive shaft distributes the torque of a single motor to both sides, so it needs less electrical power than the dual-motor configuration to achieve the same maximum force in the Y direction for all positions of the X carriage. For the same total motor current, the dual-motor approach can exert the same force only when the X is in the middle; it's weaker when the load on the Y motors is not balanced, so it needs more current to get the same performance on this metric (but this also makes it faster during rapid moves). The drive shaft option is also a little easier to wire, if that sort of thing makes a difference to you.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

khauser24

Post by khauser24 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:24 am

Yeah, I'm re-awakening a somewhat old thread...

Is it safe to use one TinyG stepper motor for both Y-axis motors *IF* they are NEMA23 motors???

Thanks!

khauser24

Post by khauser24 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:55 am

I'm going to answer my own question. Looks like the TinyG has excellent overload protection, so the real risk is to the workpiece.

Looks like I won't be the first to try it.