tiny g randomly stopping

Discussion of tinyG control platform
janis

tiny g randomly stopping

Post by janis » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:33 am

Hi i have shapeoko 2 with 23 nema motors, and using tiny g as a controler through chilipeppr

but there is a big problem when I run the job, it randomly stops and tiny g lose their connection to the computer (in my case with MacBook), which only can be restored when the tiny g is completely restarted (unplugged from power), plus cutter is powered from a different power line.

I have updated the program to the latest version of tiny g, tried various g codes.
But it sill stops randomly, even at short works

I do not know what's wrong!
help me please

cmcgrath5035

Re: tiny g randomly stopping

Post by cmcgrath5035 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:48 am

This sounds like more of a Chilipeppr-tinyG issue than ShapeOko, you will likely get a more focused audience at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/chilipeppr

From your description, tinyG disconnects from the MAC, or from SPJS running on the Mac.
You are running with tinyG fw 440.14 and SPJS ver 1.8?

Since you mention 'cutter powered from different power line', have you experienced usspected noise related issues?
Have you tried running the job "in air" (Z0 set above the material surface) with the spindle unpowered to see if disconnects are spindle related?
ShapeOko (V1) SN 1462
Dual 820mm Y, Double X, ACMEZ. V2 Motor Plates
TinyG V7 Controller; DUE and tinyGV9 test bed for tinyG2

janis

Post by janis » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:36 pm

Yes, i have tried running the job ''in air'' and it still is disconnecting, plus i have all power supplies far from board.

maybe its wifi issue? :ugeek:

cmcgrath5035

Post by cmcgrath5035 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:40 pm

Can I assume when you say tinyG is disconnecting, you mean the Serial Port Widget in CP workspace pops up the black 'disconnecd (reconnect)' message?
That would probably that tinyG is being reset by something (noise, bogus command, other) or possibly that noise is somehow affecting your MAC's USB interface.
Do you see tinyG go thru a reset while your job is running?
Observe the LED pattern when you push reset (no job running), then watch tinyG LEDs while job runs.

Distance of power Supplies does not really help. Since you say supplies (plural) I am sort of assuming you have a DC spindle ("Quiet Spindle").
The DC motors generate a lot of noise (from the brush arcing).
Is your supply cable to the Spindle shielded?

You did not specifically say if you ran the job in air with the spindle OFF. -?

Please provide a lot more specifics on your setup:

CP and SPJS running on MAC adjacent to you machine ?
MAC connects to internet via WiFi?
TinyG USB to MAC?
DC Spindle? How do you control the DC spindle (manual, PWM, SSR controlled by tinyG, other)?
I interpret your early on comment that all Gcodes you try have this same issue.
If all Gcodes you try fail, I suspect some basic wiring/connection issues.
ShapeOko (V1) SN 1462
Dual 820mm Y, Double X, ACMEZ. V2 Motor Plates
TinyG V7 Controller; DUE and tinyGV9 test bed for tinyG2

aidenwolf

Post by aidenwolf » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:21 am

Hi Janis,

Did you solve this issue in the end. I'm having something similar, except I use UGS and don't rely on the internet like with chillipeppr, and use windows not mac.

janis

Post by janis » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:45 pm

aidenwolf wrote:Hi Janis,

Did you solve this issue in the end. I'm having something similar, except I use UGS and don't rely on the internet like with chillipeppr, and use windows not mac.
Yes, sort of, now i use windows via bootcamp and replace all wires with good quality shielded ones, and i also bought best shielded usb cable i can find in my city.
But still very rarely i get some erros, its one time in a 200 cutting jobs.
P.S. sory for super late answer maybe for someone its usefull