Using TinyG for SO2/ 3D Printer combo

Discussion of tinyG control platform
Lionshead

Using TinyG for SO2/ 3D Printer combo

Post by Lionshead » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:44 pm

There haven't been any updates for a while. Has anyone had luck using the tinpyG for 3D printing. I'm planning on making a swappable plate to convert from spindle to extruded, but I'd rather not buy a new controller. Has anyone been able to control an extruder, hot end, and heated bed with the TinyG?

cmcgrath5035

Re: Using TinyG for SO2/ 3D Printer combo

Post by cmcgrath5035 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:25 pm

I have seen discussion by folks about using the A axis driver to control a spool feeder.
But tinyG does not have power I/O compatible with the heater functions.

Are you planning to develop your own CAM layer (3D Printer CAM)?
Seems that might be the larger issue.

I do believe an Ultimaker II Mega shield, coupled with a DUE and running tinyG2 would have the hardware I/O you need.
But that is a new controller for you, and the Software/CAM issue remains.
ShapeOko (V1) SN 1462
Dual 820mm Y, Double X, ACMEZ. V2 Motor Plates
TinyG V7 Controller; DUE and tinyGV9 test bed for tinyG2

veng1

Post by veng1 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:20 pm

The motion on a 3D printer needs to be coordinated but the heater doesn't really.

All that is needed is a binary signal that confirms set point has been reached. There are many PID controllers that would do that along with a fairly minor hack to some 3D printer software like Marlin to just control temperature and set an output bit when set point is reached. That software could even run on an Arduino board that had some of the motion control ports blown.

It is certainly in the realm of possibility to use a USB splitter and control two boards with part of the motion control software running on each but the software would be fairly complicated to coordinate the motion.

I'm actively looking at an extruder that would fit into the DWP 611 mount but haven't really come up with an elegant software solution. At this point, I'm not too clear if there a a software solution that would run on a new controller board and with both 3D printer software like Cura and CAM software like Carbide Motion

cvoinescu

Post by cvoinescu » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:23 pm

veng1 wrote:The motion on a 3D printer needs to be coordinated but the heater doesn't really.

All that is needed is a binary signal that confirms set point has been reached.
Look at developments in Marlin in recent years. One of the things they do is raise the temperature of the extruder in anticipation of substantial extrusion (by looking ahead at the planner buffer, which is much longer than the 18 moves or so in GRBL). Or, consider that pretty much all slicers can move the temperature up for the first layer, to improve adhesion, then return to the optimal temperature for the other layers. These features require temperature control in the firmware, or at least the ability for the firmware to alter the setpoint. Yes, you can get away with an external PID controller, but you give up potentially useful features.
Proud owner of ShapeOko #709, eShapeOko #0, and of store.amberspyglass.co.uk

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:41 pm

Smoothieware seemed workable to me for routing.
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

veng1

Post by veng1 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:18 pm

@cvoinescu: Agreed. An external temp controller is a hack. I admitted that I didn't have an elegant solution, at least not yet.

A splitter, two USB cables and a second board to control just the extruder with a synchronization method might work although it still requires two boards (and software hacks).

Better yet will be a board with more memory space like an ARM that can do everything or at least have a jumper to select GRBL mode or Marlin mode.

Lionshead

Post by Lionshead » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:05 am

Sorry for not checking in on all the great advise. I think if I want a large form-factor printer, it would probably be easiest to get a dedicated board. A few more plugs and I can reconnect my motors.

But then I have to devise a way to swap out the spindle simply, quickly, and without loosing true square... and that a task. If I'm going to undue the V-wheels and replace the whole carriage...sheesh. Maybe I'll just start from scratch. No idea.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:06 pm

I simply connected my extruder assembly to the universal spindle mount:

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/RepStrapOko
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets