Motors behaving odd. Y and Z are mixed etc..

Discussion of tinyG control platform
Post Reply
jininjin
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:40 am

Motors behaving odd. Y and Z are mixed etc..

Post by jininjin » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:37 am

I have a few issues :

1) Y=X How should I change this?

2) Y is mixed with Z motor movement for some reason. If I manually move the motors the LED's register for each motor not both. So I think it is a software or firmware issue.

3) Spindle is always on. How do I have it connect the power and have it off or at least control speed via software?


Setup:
Shapeoko 2 with Nema 23's
Queit Cut Spindle 400w
DC Spindle Speed Controller
Latest ChiliPeppr
TinyG V8
edge 442.04 hex
FTDI 2.12.10

Any help is appreciated. Im new to Shapeoko but I have build a 3D printer a few years ago so I can learn fast!
Shapeoko 2
X,Y,Z Nema 23's 140 in-oz, ACME Z Axis, Quiet Cut Spindle 400w
ChiliPeppr, TinyG V8

WillAdams
Posts: 8604
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:11 pm
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15
Contact:

Re: Motors behaving odd. Y and Z are mixed etc..

Post by WillAdams » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:00 pm

We have a little bit on the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... controller

Sounds as if either the wiring or the board is wrong — check against their wiki?

https://github.com/synthetos/TinyG/wiki
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

cmcgrath5035
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:56 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Motors behaving odd. Y and Z are mixed etc..

Post by cmcgrath5035 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:17 pm

First, I suggest you load FW = 440.20, FW 442.04 is still under development(very edgy)
Before you do that, keep a copy of a $$ parameter dump, as you will have to re-enter most machine parameters.

I'll assume you are fully familiar with the tinyG wiki and particularly https://github.com/synthetos/TinyG/wiki ... eoko-Setup

3. Spindle configuration; read this https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/502 ... st%201.doc

1. Assignment of axes and machine members is somewhat arbitrary. Original ShapeOko's called the single cross-gantry motor X and to motor or motors that move the gantry back and forth Y. The movement of the gantry rather quickly evolved to 2 Y motors, which is the standard for SH2.
You can assign motor drivers and motors to X, Y or Z using set-up parameters.
So you can swap X and Y with motor to axis configuration using Parameters $_ma, _=1,2,3,4.
HOWEVER, your will find most parameter example data sets follow the following convention:
[1ma] m1 map to axis 0 [0=X,1=Y,2=Z...]
[2ma] m2 map to axis 1[0=X,1=Y,2=Z...]
[3ma] m3 map to axis 1 [0=X,1=Y,2=Z...]
[4ma] m4 map to axis 2 [0=X,1=Y,2=Z...]
Frequently referred to as X-Y-Yr-Z configuration

So I would suggest you rewire you motors to follow this convention for ease of comparing to example from others.
Here is an example SH2 configuration I use
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/502 ... EMA23.conf

2. Are you saying that when you command Y movement you see movement in both the Y and Z motors? Or are you just observing that manually moving X or Y causes other LEDs to light?
Manually moving an axis turns the motor(s) mechannically attached to that axis into generators, the movement therefor powers up the tinyG board a little. That is normal and unavoidable


Another STRONG recommendation: Create and enter you machine configurations in mm mode, not inch mode.
Most examples (such as mine above) are in mm.
If you design and run Gcode in inches, tinyG will make the necessary conversions.
ShapeOko (V1) SN 1462
Dual 820mm Y, Double X, ACMEZ. V2 Motor Plates
TinyG V7 Controller; DUE and tinyGV9 test bed for tinyG2

jininjin
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:40 am

Re: Motors behaving odd. Y and Z are mixed etc..

Post by jininjin » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:17 pm

cmcgrath5035 wrote:First, I suggest you load FW = 440.20, FW 442.04 is still under development(very edgy)
Before you do that, keep a copy of a $$ parameter dump, as you will have to re-enter most machine parameters.

Thanks I tried this yesterday with the same issue.
cmcgrath5035 wrote:3. Spindle configuration; read this https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/502 ... st%201.doc

I have some homework to do on this.
cmcgrath5035 wrote:1. Assignment of axes and machine members is somewhat arbitrary. Original ShapeOko's called the single cross-gantry motor X and to motor or motors that move the gantry back and forth Y. The movement of the gantry rather quickly evolved to 2 Y motors, which is the standard for SH2.
You can assign motor drivers and motors to X, Y or Z ..........

I found my wiring didnt match what it should have been. Although the Z is still behaving odd.
cmcgrath5035 wrote:So I would suggest you rewire you motors to follow this convention for ease of comparing to example from others.
Here is an example SH2 configuration I use
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/502 ... EMA23.conf

Thanks I will do that.
cmcgrath5035 wrote:2. Are you saying that when you command Y movement you see movement in both the Y and Z motors? Or are you just observing that manually moving X or Y causes other LEDs to light?
Manually moving an axis turns the motor(s) mechannically attached to that axis into generators, the movement therefor powers up the tinyG board a little. That is normal and unavoidable

I send a Y command and Z moves with Y. If I send a Z command nothing happens except noise. Also when I manually move x, y or z I see each corresponding led light up so It apears my wiring is correct. My new hunch is I have either have crosstalk or I made a big mistake wiring Y and Z.. Checking this today.
cmcgrath5035 wrote:Another STRONG recommendation: Create and enter you machine configurations in mm mode, not inch mode.
Most examples (such as mine above) are in mm.
If you design and run Gcode in inches, tinyG will make the necessary conversions.
I prefer Metric anyway so I will be doing this (Canadian)

WillAdams wrote:We have a little bit on the wiki: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/ ... controller

Sounds as if either the wiring or the board is wrong — check against their wiki?

https://github.com/synthetos/TinyG/wiki
Thanks I will be double checking everything again. I made a mistake somewhere.. Thanks all for the tips.
Shapeoko 2
X,Y,Z Nema 23's 140 in-oz, ACME Z Axis, Quiet Cut Spindle 400w
ChiliPeppr, TinyG V8

jininjin
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:40 am

Re: Motors behaving odd. Y and Z are mixed etc..

Post by jininjin » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:24 pm

cmcgrath5035 I noticed your Config has Dual Axis
so
m1= 0
m2=1
m3=1
m4=2

m2 and 3 are Dual Y axis. I wired my Dual Y's in parallel would I set mine as this:

m1=0
m2=1
m3=2
m4=3 (N/A)

I wired this like 6 months ago so I forget the reasoning behind this. Is better wire each Y axis separately?
Shapeoko 2
X,Y,Z Nema 23's 140 in-oz, ACME Z Axis, Quiet Cut Spindle 400w
ChiliPeppr, TinyG V8

cmcgrath5035
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:56 pm
Location: Florida, USA

Re: Motors behaving odd. Y and Z are mixed etc..

Post by cmcgrath5035 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:52 pm

cmcgrath5035 I noticed your Config has Dual Axis
so
m1= 0
m2=1
m3=1
m4=2
That is correct for my setup.
$2po=0, $3po=1 so M2 and M3 rotate in same direction
I refer to this as X-Y-Yr-Z setup, which is typical (not reuired) when tinyG is paired with SH2
m2 and 3 are Dual Y axis. I wired my Dual Y's in parallel would I set mine as this:

m1=0
m2=1
m3=2
m4=3 (N/A)

I wired this like 6 months ago so I forget the reasoning behind this. Is better wire each Y axis separately?
This method is OK, but why leave one driver on tinyG unused?
You will get better drive current to your Y motors if they have individual driver, but many folks who run Gshield (3 drivers only) run as you are with adequate performance

I mention FW 440.20 as it is more mature. I don't believe your motor issues are FW related.
ShapeOko (V1) SN 1462
Dual 820mm Y, Double X, ACMEZ. V2 Motor Plates
TinyG V7 Controller; DUE and tinyGV9 test bed for tinyG2

jininjin
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:40 am

Re: Motors behaving odd. Y and Z are mixed etc..

Post by jininjin » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:10 pm

Ok I may have confused the GShield wiring or some thread about wiring in Parallel I read awhile back. I may just rewire that.

Thanks for the help. Im off for the holidays so I can't really test this anymore. Ill update in a week...hopefully Ill get this back up and running.
Shapeoko 2
X,Y,Z Nema 23's 140 in-oz, ACME Z Axis, Quiet Cut Spindle 400w
ChiliPeppr, TinyG V8

Post Reply