Opinions on TinyG

Discussion of tinyG control platform
Tomdigi

Opinions on TinyG

Post by Tomdigi » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:15 pm

The stock controller board on my Shapeoko 3 has dropped dead, so I need to replace with something. Is the TinyG the way to go? Are there other options I should consider? All info greatly appreciated.

Also, I've been using Universal Gcode Sender which I'm not terribly fond of. ChilliPepper seems to be the one most use...I'm concerned about an internet based software. In the middle of a job if the internet goes down, can you restart from where you were? Any other software recommendations?

Thanks in advance for the info.
Shapeoko XL; Who is John Galt?

Dan_the_Chemist

Re: Opinions on TinyG

Post by Dan_the_Chemist » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:53 pm

I received GREAT customer service from Carbide 3D when my controller had a problem. Call 'em up... can't hurt.

I use bCNC. It's open source written in Python. I'm not sure it's "the best", but it's done pretty well for me.

WillAdams
Location: Pennsylvania --- south of the Turnpike, East of US-15

Post by WillAdams » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:07 am

As Dan noted, check in w/ support@carbide3d.com

Other options are listed on the wiki: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php ... controller esp. see: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Gradus_M1_Pro and bCNC (or Grbl Gru if using Windows).
Shapeoko 3XL #0006 w/ Carbide Compact Router w/0.125″ and ¼″ Carbide 3D precision collets

LTEPM

Post by LTEPM » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:08 am

Try intelliGcode by software redefined. Chilipeppr has a 5Mb limit of file size.

If you need a TinyG, I have one unused. I was going to replace the CM board if necessary, but the newer versions solved my issues.

As others have suggested contact Support.

Tomdigi

Post by Tomdigi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:05 am

Thanks for the input everyone. I actually should have known that the board was going bad by the way it was reacting. All was great until 2 days ago when, during a pretty routine rectangle cut in .064 aluminum, the feed went wild and off course. It also began dropping the USB port when the router was turned off...had a new board about a year ago with the capacitor installed.

Again, thanks. I'll contact support tomorrow. ~Tom

Tomdigi

Post by Tomdigi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:18 pm

A funny thing happened under a magnifying lamp. I was able to locate a cold solder joint on the board where the 24 VDC enters the circuit board from the connector. Once resoldered, it fired up just fine! Again, thanks for the input guys.